Fixing acrylic???

hawkfish203

I recently bought a new acrylic sump and when moving stuff to the new place somehow it got placed on the bottom of a bunch of stuff and has a nice crack right in the middle of the first chamber. Now I'm not gonna place blame on anyone (wife) but do you think it's possible to fix or you wouldn't trust it. It Goes from the top right down to the bottom joint. This was my thought what if I cut a piece of plexi glass a good deal larger then the crack and use some acrylic caulk to seal that over the crack?

al&burke

I would put a piece over it like you said but use weld on to seal it together, silicone does not bond the best to plexi unless you roughen it up a bit. Is the crack only on the bottom or does it go up the sides as well. Also if the crack does not go ail the way across the bottom you might want to drill a hole to stop any further cracking. The hole will be seal with your strip. Good luck I am sure acrylics51 will chime in at some point

hawkfish203

Yea it goes from the top all the way to the bottom and stops about a half inch from the bottom. What kind of weld do you speak of? Wan't me to break out my mig welder...lol. Is it two part?

2quills

wondering if it would be possible to solvent weld the crack back together and then put another piece over it for peace of mind.

acrylic51

Thanks Al for tipping me to the thread.....As the other 2 guru's already suggested very good fixes......Can you get a pic of the damaged area to just verify how bad it is.....Actually I don't think it's bad. I would as Al suggested drill a relief hole on both ends of the crack to stop it from spreading. The next course of action would be to apply a patch over the damaged area. Might not be the prettiest, but it will be water tight again.
Again a pic would be really helpfull!!!!!!!