flakes and frozen food or just frozen?

reefboy1994

i feed flakes once a day, sometimes twice and half a cube once a day. my tang has a lime green film of algae on the glass and is starting to get hair algae! should i only feed frozen food or is that not enough?

canareef

I feed frozen I thaw it out and discard the water they have it in and then feed it to my fish. The odd time I soak the food in garlic I also chop Krill up and soak it in garlic and feed that every once and while to change it up.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by canareef
http:///forum/post/2934625
I feed frozen I thaw it out and discard the water they have it in and then feed it to my fish. The odd time I soak the food in garlic I also chop Krill up and soak it in garlic and feed that every once and while to change it up.
+1
the more variety the better. Buy raw food from your grocery store seafood counter and just cut it up. If you need smaller foods, you can always supplement with some cyclops.
I also soak mine in garlic and some zoe.
Good Luck
Jess

ms3

you do not have to feed flake infact i only feed flake if i am going to be out of town for a few days i put it in one of those automated feeder (which are garbage) but no you are fine feeding frozen and cut back some you dont have to 2 times a day it wont kill them to miss a day eather that will help cut back on your alge and what not

shrimpi

dont feed flake, they do more bad than good. Think about nature, your fish and corals would eat meaty foods, algae, zooplankton or other microscopic crustaceans (pick up some cyclops) ... flake food does not fit into this diet.
I also have used it before when going out of town, but most of the time, Ill just leave the tank without food until I get back.
Jess

nitschke65

You don't have to feed flake food, but you also don't have to treat it like poison. If your having an algae problem, I'd suggest cutting back on your lighting instead of your feeding.