Flakes VS Pellets

muskyhunte

I noticed that my Yellow tang and my Hippo Tang perfer the flakes over the pellets. I also have a Spoty Cheek that wont even touch a pellet. Anyone else see this with their fish.

mombostic

I like the pellets better because the flakes make such a mess, however......
My new wrasse, who has been in hiding all week since I added him, informed me today that he prefers flakes.
I assume that this was his previous diet. I add just a few flakes and a few pellets. Hopefully he'll change his mind over the next few weeks. I started with flakes and made the switch, and eventually all of my fish started eating the pellets. Even my shrimp eat them!

jaeger

My yellow and Hippo tangs love Formula Two pellets, the medium size, which will drop to the bottom. In another aquarium, I have a red striped squirrelfish, a rabbitfish, a flame hawkfish, and a lunare wrasse, and these fish really prefer things that float for awhile, like flake, krill, plankton, frozen food, and small pellets, which seem to float for a little while. Anything that drops to the bottom they seem to have problems finding.

joker_ca

my fish like pellets better, but sometimes i give sprinilia aglea falkes to my angel but they do make a mess on the surface of the water

unleashed

Originally posted by joker_ca
my fish like pellets better, but sometimes i give sprinilia aglea falkes to my angel but they do make a mess on the surface of the water

i found with flake foods if you take the pinch of food release it underwater instead of above it it doesnt make such a mess and the fish notice it much faster aslo fish do not have to surface feed when doing this

T

thomas712

Beware of pellet food expanding in the stomaches of the fishes. Also beware of the ingreadiants of pellet food.
Thomas

jonny bolt

I feed my Orange Spotted Goby and Maroon Clownfish Hikari Marine S, and they absolutely love it. My Goby also LOVES live Brine Shrimp :) I want to get a Six Line Wrasse, but I hope he doesnt want flakes cuz I'm not using any at this point. There is a Six Line on the front of the Hikari Marine S pouch, so I think I'll be alright lol.

kdfrosty

I use Prime Reef flake for my Tomato Clown. He's too fast to let the 3 shrimp I have get any flake (although they do try), so I feed them shrimp/plankton pellets through a straw. Darn cannibals.

mombostic

I saw a useful tip on one of the posts.....
Now I take my pinch of flakes and mix it in a cup with some of the water from the aquarium. I stir it up really good and then dump it in. It doesn't sit right on top for the "hogs" to get at it. Everyone has a chance, and my wrasse is very happy.
I still use my pellets, too, though.

pinktail

I mix both pellets and flakes and frozen cube with vitamins and tank water before dumping them into the tank. This way all my fish will get to the food, and pick the kind they like.