Flame Angel Develops Ich Overnight? Help Please!

yannifish

I don't know. I just don't know what to do.
Stress Coat doesn't neutralize ammonia? The bottle says it does, and many people on here have too. I'm not arguing, just asking. I'll look for the Amquel tomorrow.
What do you think I should do? I'm at a loss. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and therefore can't remedy the situation.
What would you say her chances of survival are right now?

yannifish

I just noticed something rather strange. She seemed to be hiding under the powerhead a lot, with her body sideways with the bad eye down. It looked almost like the lights were too bright. So, I turned the lights off, and she immediately started swimming around.
Any ideas? I mean, she is swimming all over, even playing in the currents a little.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Leave the tank lights off but leave a bit of light in the room, not enough to keep her up all night. Sick fish frequently pass if they are left in complete darkness, so just a bit of light. That is not to say that keeping the light on will result in her not dying, though.
I wouldn't risk the other fish, and there is nothing to say that transferring this fish now won't result in a lot more stress that she just can't stand.
Best thing to do is to plan on keeping an established QT for the future, to avoid this situation. It makes this hobby a lot easier on your nerves.
Here is the product specs for Stress Coat:
Quote:
Treats up to 946 U.S. gallons of fresh or salt water. Contains Aloe Vera which promotes healing and regeneration of damaged fish tissue and forms a synthetic slime coat to help prevent electrolyte loss. Stress Coat also removes chlorine, neutralizes chloramines and detoxifies heavy metals. The healing power of Aloe Vera: Replaces slime coat Reduces electrolyte loss Promotes tissue regeneration Removes chlorine and neutralizes chloramines When to use: When setting up an aquarium, adding or handling fish, changing water or when fish are damaged by injury or disease fish tank aquarium water care conditioner
Its not bad to use, but I'm not convinced that it will remove ammonia. I would suggest using the Maracyn Two for SW fish, but it doesn't sound like you have access to any.
Don't rush to do something or anything, as that could be worse. If this fish is too sick to make it, then there is nothing you can do right now to change that. Let the fish rest, or pass on, and you just take it easy for the rest of the night.

yannifish

I'll check for the Amquel and Maracyn Two tomorrow. My guess is Amquel maybe, Maracyn Two probably not.
So basically I need to have to either always have the QT running or let it cycle before every use? I was under the impression that you could just use filter media from an established system.
She seemed okay tonight. Her biggest problem right now seems to be her eye, she doesn't seem comfortable. Last I checked she was in her normal sleeping spot.
I agree, I'm not risking my other fish. Besides, she will have better chances of survival if I just do my best to keep my parameters constant. Raising the salinity would just make things worse.
My ammonia seems to be on the down swing. I'll keep testing it daily.
Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll keep you posted.

yannifish

Well, I lost her last night.

At least she died sitting on top of the powerhead, instead of being sucked against the powerhead or filter intake.
At least it's finally clear what I did wrong. I feel terrible. I thought I was doing everything right, and in effect she was doomed from the start.
Now, as for the QT, I don't see any point in taking it down. If I leave it in hypo for two more weeks and crank the temp to 85, will that be enough to get rid of any ich present in the tank?
Also, how often should I ghost feed the tank to provide a source of ammonia to keep bacteria growing?
Also, thank you to everyone who gave me advice and helped out. I very much appreciate it, as there is no way she would have lasted as long as she did without you guys.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the bad news.
Don't crank the heat up. Bring salinity back up to normal after another week in hypo. Best leave the tank without fish for 4 more weeks after that while you establish the bio-filter. No ghost shrimp. That doesn't work either. Add a few small pieces of live rock, or rubble rock, and feed it a bit of fish food every other day.
Once you get zero ammonia and nitrites for a week or two, you should be good.

kiefers

sorry about your flame my friend. You put up quite the fight. We still have our fish in hypo for two more weeks. I knew that Biocube would come in handy for something. now that you have experienced hypo, you know what to do. doesn't bring back your angel i know.

yannifish

Yeah, it is discouraging that all the time and energy I put in to water changes and such went to waste. But, I'll do my best to learn from my mistakes and do it right next time.
So Beth, I should put live rock in the QT? Should I leave it in there when I get another fish? I am determined to get it right this time.
Will probably go with a Royal Gramma instead of an Angel right away though.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm saying just some cheap rubble rock that is "live". Don't spend lots of money on rock, but you want to seed your QT to get the cycle going well. A cup of live sand from your display will work good too.
What is the size of your display, and how many fish do you already have?

yannifish

The display is a 55 gallon. I currently have two ocellaris clowns in it. I've had them for over three years now. They themselves are actually ich survivors, only that time hypo was completely successful...
I have a small rock in the 55 I don't like, I'll through it in the QT once I get the salinity back to normal. And put some sand in.
It is amazing how much you grow attached to a fish in just a couple weeks. I really miss having her.

kiefers

Well..... once again, sorry for your loss but I personally wouldn't call it a waist. You worked and researched so much and just because your fish didn't make it doesn't really call it a failure. I know the stress involved and the time put into your effort. Like i stated ealier in your post, Flames have a reputation of being hard to keep in captivity let alone hypo. set a side from your out come, I and many others reading your post hopefully learned what hypoing (is that relly a word?? hypoing?) your fish takes, flame or tang, it's a very involved technique that needs several hours of research and time to complete. My hats off to you.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/384607/flame-angel-develops-ich-overnight-help-please/140#post_3375155
Well..... once again, sorry for your loss but I personally wouldn't call it a waist. You worked and researched so much and just because your fish didn't make it doesn't really call it a failure. I know the stress involved and the time put into your effort. Like i stated ealier in your post, Flames have a reputation of being hard to keep in captivity let alone hypo. set a side from your out come, I and many others reading your post hopefully what hypoing (is that relly a word?? hypoing?) your fish, flame or tang, is a very involved technique that needs several hours of research and time to complete. My hats off to you.
+1
You lost a fish but gained valuable experience. And no one can say that you didn't try.

yannifish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///forum/thread/384607/flame-angel-develops-ich-overnight-help-please/140#post_3375155
Well..... once again, sorry for your loss but I personally wouldn't call it a waist. You worked and researched so much and just because your fish didn't make it doesn't really call it a failure. I know the stress involved and the time put into your effort. Like i stated ealier in your post, Flames have a reputation of being hard to keep in captivity let alone hypo. set a side from your out come, I and many others reading your post hopefully learned what hypoing (is that relly a word?? hypoing?) your fish takes, flame or tang, it's a very involved technique that needs several hours of research and time to complete. My hats off to you.
Lol, I'd have to call it performing hyposalinity.
Thanks though to everyone.
And I do hope this thread can help some people be successful in treating their fish.