Flame Angel or Coral Beauty???????????

accurate

I have a reef and was wanting to get a colorful fish, i was looking at a flame angel or coral beauty.
I've heard some bad things about flames. Any out there with the same or different?
How bout Coral Beauty? I've had one before but wasn't doing corals that much and didn't feel i had too much to worry about where, now i do.
A guy at lfs told me his flame ate his star polyps and another their bubble coral???huh??
I've heard some things but never that bad..
Thanks in advance for the advice..
Any other fish that anyone had done that is good and really colorful would be helpful. I'm not gonna do alot because of nitrates, but i do like movement. I have kole tang, lawnmower blenny, but want about two or three more.

bentrue

how big is your tank?
i have a coral beauty and love it! i have a trumpet coral, some star polyps, mushrooms and a sea mat. The coral beauty has not messed with any of them yet, it has been about two months since i have had the beauty.
i have heard that the flame is more dangerous to corals than the beauty, but i am sure someone has had it work before.

salty rick

I have had a Coral Beauty for three years now and it has not bothered any of my corals. I have star polys, brown sand polyps, neon green mushrooms and a few others that I forgot the names to. I have heard about Flame Angels not being compatable with reefs. Plus Coral Beauties are usually half the cost of Flames.

fishfreek

Not sure about the flame, but i've had a coral beauty in my 45g reef about 6 months with no problems. The wost thing i've ever seen him do is nibble at the bottom side of my toadstool occasionally( i really think he was nibbling at only algae though :) ). I keep xenia, red open brain,mushrooms,toadstool,short tenticle plate, green star polyps, colt and goniopora. I say get the coral beauty, IMO, i feel its the most tusted of pygmay angels. :D

broomer5

My Flame Angel did not bother any corals in my reef tank for well over a year. Same with the Rusty Pygmy Angel. Then after all that time, in a matter of a couple days, the Flame about wiped out a colony of waving xenia.
I think keeping dwarf pygmy angels in a reef set up is sort of hit and miss. Some have good luck, others don't.
Returned both dwarfs to lfs in December.
I miss the Flame - was one beautiful fish.

nm reef

I've never had first hand experience with a flame angel...but I do have a coral beauty in my reef with corals too numerous to mention. Not a single problem in well over 10 months. mine is a beauty and never a pest!!I've also got a very nice pygmy angel but its in my fish only tank. Never see much about them but I really like it....here is a link to info on the pygmy

<a href="http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.cfm?ID=5664" target="_blank">pygmy info</a>

fishfood

Here is a suggestion. Look into a fairy or flasher wrasse. There was a nice one at the lfs today. They can be very colorful and are supposed to be reef safe. I personally like the flame angels myself

nyyanks154

This is all very interesting. I had a coral beauty for a long time and it never bothered any of my coral. I am looking into a flame, so i hope to hear some more info on what flames are like in a reef tank...

info_sponge

I'd go with the fairy wrasse... they're sharp. Why take the chance with the flame? Everything I've read says no way jose. But who knows. Each animal is different.

Angelfishes (Dwarfs) that are consider as "REEF-SAFE".
BUT.....REMEMBER Their personalities varies.
Cherub Angelfish (Atlantic)
Coral Beauty
Fireback/Flameback
Flame
Potter
Thats it.
Again, Do homework before you buy. Such as question what kind coral,etc in tank. In my opinion there must be a certain type of stuff that they love to eat or disregard them which is BIG REASON why we are hearing so different pro and con opinions about the Angelfishes in the reef tanks.