Flame Angel vs. Snowflake eel

K

knightcreek

Thanks for taking a look and hopefully for any insight! I have a 55 gallon fish only tank which is currently the home of an 11 inch snowflake. I keep him well fed. The tankmates that I plan on adding are a flame angel(as big and healthy as possible), a dwarf lionfish, small stars and stripes or dogface, and lastly a juvenile clown trigger or picasso. Ideally, I was going to add the flame angel first since he would be the least aggressive of those fish. However, I came across the snowflake in healthy condition and had my eye on him for several weeks so I snagged him up before a big enough flame angel came into the store. So now I have an eel which is supposed to not eat fish that won't fit in its mouth, right? So how do i go about introducing the flame angel? I was planning on quarantining the flame angel regardless for a couple weeks and figured that a clever thing to do would be to swap the eel into the smaller tank and place the angel in the main tank so that he could stake out his territory after the quarantine period so that the flame could chill without the eel keepin an eye on him. Would keeping the eel in the 10 gallon tank( currently up and running) for a couple days maybe a week or so until the flame gets comfortable be a good idea? Any input is greatly appreciated.

nicetry

It's really too much of a bioload for a tank that size. The puffer and trigger will not thrive in a 55 gallon tank, and either one would likely go after the lion. The eel shoud really not bother the angel, if, as you say, you keep it well fed. After quarantine, I would simply add the angel to the tank. While not fish eaters by nature, the risk to fish comes when the eel is trying to catch food and a fish happens to be in the way. If you feed the eel with a feeding stick, this will greatly reduce the risk to other tankmates. I've kept SFE's with clowns, chromis and other small/medium fish and they weren't harmed. Your mileage may vary however.

mamasky712

Wow, I agree with the other poster. That's a huge bioload for a 55. That stock list sounds like something I would put in like a 180.

K

knightcreek

Huh! Interesting, and I thought that I would be putting in a relatively small number of fish, yes, even with their eating habits. The eel will be upgraded into my friend's 100+ gallon tank eventually so with that done, will those four fish really be too much? Im in the works of buying a protein skimmer, but at the moment have an emperor 400 as the main filter and a penguin biowheel mini on it as well which I transfer into the quarantine tank as needed. Weekly 10% water changes as well and excess food removal. Aren't the small puffer and trigger the type of tankmates that you would want to put in with a lionfish, what about a small volitan instead of the dwarf lion? Perhaps I go with the picasso trigger as oposed to the clown trigger. Would that help with size restraints? Eventhough, we have all seen tanks that are obviously overstocked, does my fish selection absolutely fit into that category? Several people at the two fish stores in town have not honestly advised me to reconsider(granted their store makes more profit), but you guys as a whole have much more experience so keep the advice coming! thanks

nicetry

It's not simply the number of fish, but also the potential size, temperament and compatability that make it a shaky mix. A volitans lion will grow to 15 inches within a couple of years and not be able to turn around in a 55. The triggers are among the more aggressive and are known to be nippers, putting the lion at risk. Same with the puffer. As juvenile specimens, you likely won't see these behaviors but as they grow, the aggression will manifest itself and coupled with limited space, you'll most likely see a lot of fighting/chasing, which simply stresses the entire system. It's not a large tank so stock it with fish you can keep for a long time and that will get along. The eel, angel and dwarf lion would be neat. You could also add a large maroon clown or one of the hamlets if you want an aggressive type tank. Your lfs will not dissuade you from buying the wrong fish. They will profit on the first sale and then again when you go to replace the fish that have died. Your call but none of us have anything to gain, only share experiences. Having kept triggers, lions, eels and puffs, I can tell you these types of systems can go south very quickly. The chances of succes are marginally improved in a very large tank but the fish you list are generally not going to be compatable for the long haul.

K

knightcreek

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. i do agree that in the long run, my tank would not be large enough for adult specimens to live comfortably. Perhaps as juveniles, but like you said, that too depends. I will rethink my list of wanted fish, and as all aquarists, have to compromise what I would want for what well best work and is best for the fish. However, all of the fish i planned on getting would have been relatively small, except the angel, and perhaps a tank upgrade would happen before they grew too large for mine. Thanks

oceansidefish

It's good that you are taking time out and asking questions. I say that the best thing to do is put what will thrive in your tank even as adults since fish can grow very quickly....When you get a bigger tank, then get the bigger fish.

srgvigil

Originally Posted by knightcreek
. Ideally, I was going to add the flame angel first since he would be the least aggressive of those fish. .
IMO it is not smart to add an angelfish as your first tankmate (that's what I've read in books) They can become territorial so its smart to add them in last so they don't claim the tank as theirs

K

knightcreek

I have read and heard that too, but i think that applies more to a scenario when he would be the most agressive one in there such as a peaceful community tank. I figured that compared to a puffer,lion, or trigger, he would be better off getting a head start since those fish are typically bolder, but you do bring up a good point and since I'm reconsidering into making it a non agressive community tank, without the eel, I will definetely keep your suggestion in mind