Flame Angelfish

arasa

I posted a thread earlier on emperor and french angels. But now I realize flame angels provides the same color display as the larger angels along with other dwarf angels. I have however heard that they along with most angels large or small tend to be picky about water quality. If this is so, I have a 100 gallon, with Eheim professional wet/dry canister filter for 158 gal and a saline solution skimmer.

T

tyler geene

you should be fine i have a flame and i have a 55 with two backbacks and a protein skimmer. as long as your perams are alright dont worry about it. its a great fish to have it is my favorite

arasa

Whoops Sorry i forgot to add the question but I guess tyler figured it out

Yeah I want to keep one but wasnt sure if it was particularily an easy speciment to keep. I have a 100 gallon, but fish only, so DO I have to add algae sheet in every day, as I dont turn on the light much, and the living room light should provide the day/night schedules for the fish

srgvigil

I'll say this for the millionth time

I got my flame angelfish two months afet setting up my tank (its been up for 6 months now) I don't take any extra steps for him. Hes really happy and pretty docile. I don't put in algae pads for him he just eats the mysis shrimp I put him. I am thinking though for the flame angels its more luck than anything with the specimen you get.

invertcrazy

Originally Posted by SrgVigil
http:///forum/post/2638434
I'll say this for the millionth time

I got my flame angelfish two months afet setting up my tank (its been up for 6 months now) I don't take any extra steps for him. Hes really happy and pretty docile. I don't put in algae pads for him he just eats the mysis shrimp I put him. I am thinking though for the flame angels its more luck than anything with the specimen you get.
The millionth time ??? 725, maybe 750 I don't think you said it a million times yet
Just like u said with flames its luck. imo its like that with alot of the fish we put in our tanks, but then again thats just my opinion

sepulatian

Any angel should have a mature system. I would not consider anything under a year as success. No offense to anyone. Problems happen, such as HLLE, Lymphocystis, etc. Those are commonly from lack of natural nutrition. Have a mature system. As long as you keep the nitrates under control then, in a mature system that is functioning properly, ammonia, nitrites, ph, and such are not an issue at all.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2641777
Any angel should have a mature system. I would not consider anything under a year as success. No offense to anyone. Problems happen, such as HLLE, Lymphocystis, etc. Those are commonly from lack of natural nutrition. Have a mature system. As long as you keep the nitrates under control then, in a mature system that is functioning properly, ammonia, nitrites, ph, and such are not an issue at all.
...and under these conditions, I think a Flame is as hardy as any angel; large or small. They are really the ideal fish for many, many tanks; IMO. No matter how many I've seen; their colors still amaze me.

mikedog

I believe that Flames are one of the most beautiful fish you can own, but like some others on this site I have never had luck with them. I have lost 2, neither one living more than 2 months. The 1st one I lost was because my system was not mature enough, and the second one died without notice. I believe that with Flame angels its hit or miss, I actually have a Potters Angel that I have had for almost a year, and those are the ones that are more difficult. Make sure with any fish that its eating at the store, and its been there for a while. Good luck.

prime311

Why does a Flame Angel need a mature tank? Just wondering cause I'm thinking of getting one soon and my tanks only been running for about 3 months.

nietzsche

probably need a mature tank because theyre grazers. they like looking at the rockwork and pick at things. very active fish and i wouldnt recommend them in anything smaller than a 55. its incredible how fast they go from one end to the other end looking for things on the rock and buzzing in and out of caves

prime311

My tanks a 125 so size isn't an issue. I was going to put the Flame in at the same time as a Coral Beauty(less chance of aggresion). I bought my rock from an established tank so it is already covered with coraline, sponge, small amount of hair and bubble algae, and feather dusters. Think I'd be alright?

nietzsche

im sure youll be alright. i think they mainly pick at the rocks to eat copepods and any other small things they like to sample. 125 will be perfect for these guys. i cant tell you on the aggression since there is always a chance between them, but most have said as long as theyre added at the same time. i say as long as you have a lot of rocks with caves then youl do well

sprinter144

My flame has been in my tank for many months - a 46 gallon bowfront. The tank is lightly stocked. I have 3 fish - the flame, 6 line wrasse, and diamond goby. At one time I had an orange spotted rabbitfish, but it died. I often put a sheet of algae in the tank, but the flame wouldn't eat it at all. The rabbitfish gobbled it down. The flame nips at the live rock all the time and eats almost anything else I put in the tank.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2650449
My tanks a 125 so size isn't an issue. I was going to put the Flame in at the same time as a Coral Beauty(less chance of aggresion). I bought my rock from an established tank so it is already covered with coraline, sponge, small amount of hair and bubble algae, and feather dusters. Think I'd be alright?
Yep, they will be fine in there

Be sure that they are eating and quarantine them!

ya...... flames are great aquarium fish, just make sure they are eating at the store before you buy them. I have owned one in my 60 gallon for a while now, and he is doing great. mine doesnt really eat mysis or sheets of algae, but I have lots of live rock, so he gets most of his food from just nibbling off em. if you are having trouble feeding him, try frozen Formula 1, mine loves it.

prime311

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2661351
Yep, they will be fine in there

Be sure that they are eating and quarantine them!

TBH I was going to skip quarantine on the Angels. Putting 2 similar sized Angels into an unestablished 30 Gallon long just seemed like a recipe for failure. I have a pretty good relationship with the guy I'm getting them from so there should be no signs of disease, ich, or any eating problems before I get them. I realize there's still a small risk but it seems like the lesser of 2 evils in this case.

sooz

My Mom bought a Flame Angel for her 150 reef tank, to clean up a sponge problem (she had hundreds of these little puffball sponges all over everything). The flame angels eradicated them in a week's time, and has been an excellent tank addition - he has not been agressive or nipped at the corals, he eats off the LR.