flame scallops

tru conch

i have never had any of my fish eaten by them. if i remeber correctly they are filter feeders, like clams or mussels. but i have ran into probelms of hermit crabs killing the flame scallop and eating it. hth

rmd8110

well i have 3 of them..they hide all the time. i try to feed them brine shrimp but it's impossible cause they're always hiding. and 2 out of my 3 fire fish have disappeared. i guess they just went off and died. =( there is nothing wrong with my water so i have no idea what happened to them. i added more sand today and took out almost all my rock..half of the tank at a time and i still never found those 2 fish. i guess it will remain a mystery.

jay1

I agree with amphiprion. DON'T BUY THEM!!! They eat only particulate foods within a narrow range of size, and require daily feedings to remain alive! It is very, very, very, very, very difficult to keep these alive for more than 7 to 8 months in an ordinary tank. DO YOU GET IT!
Sorry So Blunt,
Jay1
Please learn from those who have been there before you. Research before you buy! Resist the urge to impulsively purchase livestock without researching it. Do not assume the man at the fish store knows what he is talking about; he probably is full of detritus.

rmd8110

yes, Jay, i get it. And yes, you are rude. Blunt is saying "Don't buy them". Rude is saying, "do you get it?" i got these with my invert package i ordered from THIS site. Why aren't there warnings????

salty rick

I didn't have much luck with mine so I took them back. The problem I had was they moved around so much that they kept knocking over coral and live rock.

von_rahvin

i kept one alive for like 3 years :) but he was in an old tank to begin with, i never did see him but veryonce and a whie, he got ot be huge!! like 4 inches deep. but i would not put them in a non established tank

blackdog

One site selling flame scallops suggested that you need to expoxy them in place. Sounds a little troubling, if the reason they're moving is because they're unhappy where they are. Maybe you can try putting it in different starting spots, see where it ends up a couple days later, then try glue him in a spot that is a good compromise where he seems happy and you can keep an eye on him.
Mine that I just got (also part of a package from this site, no flames thank you) has wedged himself under a shelf, but happily it is where I can still see him.