flame scallops

wingman

Received three of them yesterday from swf in clean up crew pkg. Two of them haven't moved just sit there open and their little hair like tentacles barley fully extended. Is this normal or are the dead??? :(

predator

Well if they are showing there tencales then they are not dead. They can and do move. They are pretty stong so if there is any rock in your tank that is not real sturdy be careful. They can easily move all your rock sructure. And they do very little, if any clreaning. Just be sure you feed them. They are filter feeders and like alot of food.

wingman

their mouths are open but the tentacles aren't moving around like the third one is. I am assuming they are dead. Am I right??

rockster

Yup, but the best thing is to try touching the shell, if it closes it's alive. If it does not react to movement, it's dead and get it out of your tank quickly before they pollute it. :)

wrassecal

Wingman, I noticed in another thread you said your tank was pretty new and you were going to add a clown and anenome as first fish addition. The clown is OK but take from someone who killed 2 anemones, take that real slow, study up and make sure your tank and lighting are ready for an anenome. Just some friendly advise from someone who's been there. :)

wingman

They are dead. :mad: Thanks to everyone who posted a response! They still are under the 7 day gaurantee from SWF so will get them replaced.

rmd8110

if i were you i'd try to get them exhanged for something else instead of replaced. they are really pretty when you can see them....but they hide A LOT...which also makes it really difficult to feed them. in fact, i still can't figure it out. i've tried putting food right in front of them but i don't think they eat it. they are really beautiful, however i consider them to be one of my mistakes. i didn't get into this hobby to kill the livestock, but i am afraid these will eventually die from everything i've read.