flat worms

nutoit

Wondering if I should be worried about these little critters ? If so how to get rite of them. Thank you for your input.

nutoit

They are more of a flesh color or pale pink.They take off and swim when scraped off the front glass. My lfs tells me that are o:k as long as they don't over take the tank...... Well thanks for that brain storming theory !!!

q

I agree with the lfs. Six line wrasses are know to eat them some times. Another meathod is to syphon them out of the tank. If the wrasse will eat them then that is the best method but it is not allways a gaurante.

mullethead

YOU can see the brainstorming and questions i've had on these devil's buried a couple pages back. dont have an answer sorry, just asked a #$% question

adrian

There are several types of flatworm, the most common is the brownish yellow ones with red spots, there are also clear ones, said to eat the red ones, and Im sure they come in a variety of other colors. Ive had them in plague proportions in the past, and the best way I found to eliminate them was to siphon them from the tank often, I tried the nudi, he ate them, but I would have needed a dozen to decimate the population, my 6-line eats them, but hes in another tank :rolleyes: and theres no way Im catching it. After a few months the flat worms just seemed to disapear, I still have a few, but the population stays very low. Maybe there has to be a certain thing present to make them so prolific, and when its used up they disapear. HTH

brian'sreef

Another well known way to get rid of them is a green mandarin while they won't completely eliminate the problem they'll keep it under control,they eat many small living creatures,so they won't completely devote their diet toward the flat worms. i have a pair of mandarins and they do a great job on my flat worm population.. not to mention the fact that they are georgeous fish.. try not to scrape them from the front of the tank also they divide rapidly and do so even more when they get bothered.
Brian

nutoit

hey mullethead i'm sorry for the misunderstanding in my message. i was referring to the brain storming of my lfs, not you. i thank you for your input and everyone else as well.