Flatworm Exit?

museumgirl

I've seen several people mention Flatworm Exit. I'm going to be adding quite a bit of live rock, and was wondering if I needed to treat it for flatworms before I put it in. I don't want to add anything bad to my tank. OR do you only treat it if you KNOW that they're there?
Sorry for all the newbie questions... just trying to get it right:)

salty cheese

It wouldn't hurt anything to do it. If it is just lr then IMO use twice the recommended amount, just to be sure.

druid1547

Any answer to flatworm exit? Plus I have seen some worms in my tank also and little critters that look like miniture shrimps or something when you turn the light on. What are these? And are they good for the system?:notsure:

redsharky

the small shrimp things are possible copapods and are benificial to your aquarium as they are natural food for your fishes... you wont see them out when you introduce fishes as they will get eaten... they multiply quickly in my refugium.. and the flatworm exit i have used before is made my salifert and is good to remove planaria (flatworms) but you usually dont get them in fresh live rock and i would only use the treatment at the first signs of planaria..

salty cheese

Flatworm Exit is the name brand of a chemical used to kill flatworms.
There are 2 types of flatworms:
One has a whitish semi-translucent look to it (good/harmless); the other is red (bad/evil)

druid1547

:joy: Thanks Yes they do look like the last two pics and there is a lot of them. Also now I know how to get rid of those worms.

duke13

Be aware that Flatworm 'body juice' can be toxic to your tank. If you use flatworm exit, you will see tons of little flatworm bodies (assuming you have an infestation) that need to be siphoned out.

museumgirl

I haven't seen any that I know if, I'd just heard that some people dip their new stuff in it as a precaution and I didn't know how people felt about that. I don't want to start an infestation!!