Flatworms and Immature Tank

coxy101

I've read the various threads on flatworms and how to get rid of them. I went out and bought the "Flatworm Exit" from my LFS (for a STEEP $25!) But I'm still hesitant to use it because I've just began to add my first corals (how I got the flatworms in the first place) and my tank is only 3 months old. I'm just worried that it'll ruin my water chemistry. I'm planning on following everyone's direction for the charcoal and water change after treatment.
Do you think the treatment will mess my tank up? Is there an alternative?

T

tizzo

I just got FW's and I don't know if it will work, but I am going to try a 6 line wrasse first!

coxy101

Kip posted a thread on using flatworm exit here . Anyway, I didn't know if it would cause a massive problem in a tank that's only 3 months old.
I hate my LFS. I always swear I'm not going to go back - they are jerks. I went in to get the FWE and saw the tank I got the GSP (that I found the FWs came in on) out of and it was covered in flatworms. I wish I had known about flatworms. Anyway, I pointed it out to the LFS to confirm they were FW and his reply was, "Yeah. We have quite a lot of flatworms. We should do something about that..." Now wouldn't you recommend to a person buying a coral out of that tank to do a FWE dip? They didn't even mention it. :mad:

coxy101

I'm going to do the FWE tomorrow. I'll update everyone how it goes. After reading threads on FWs, I figured it was better to treat them when they're not in nuisance numbers because when they die there won't be so much ammonia released into the water.

motameto

flatworms are unsightly, but wont hurt your tank. I had my tank set up for 8 months before adding any fish. The flat worms were every where, so I bought a six line wrasse. In one week the flatworms were gone. I think the natural way is way better then adding chemicals. Mandarins like to eat flat worms also, but your tank needs to be set up for atleast six months before buying a mandarin.:happy:

nas19320

Originally posted by Coxy101
I'm going to do the FWE tomorrow. I'll update everyone how it goes. After reading threads on FWs, I figured it was better to treat them when they're not in nuisance numbers because when they die there won't be so much ammonia released into the water.

It's not the ammonia that is the biggest problem, its the toxins that the flatworms release as they die. I agree that it is better to get them early before they grow into huge numbers. I went through the FW treatment and I did not have any problems. Good luck.

coxy101

I did the Flatworm Exit treatment today - it was a complete success. I caught it early enough that there weren't that many. As soon as I dosed the tank, they started to curl up and float off the rocks. I scooped up as many as I could, added a bunch of carbon, and did a water change an hour later. None of my tank inhabitants seemed to even notice, and there isn't a flatworm is sight. I recommend it!
Yay! No flatworms!