flow for 40 gallon bowfront reef tank

hey guys I just got my first set of corals today from a 40 gallon bowfront and I'm having problem getting my green goniopora frag settled, my question is I'm wondering if I have too much flow matter where I put in the tank a constantly looks like it's been beaten down right now I am currently running one of the newer maxijet 1200 wavemakers that's pumping out 1200 gph a 750 gallon per hour Mag Drive return pump from my sand an older maxijet 1200 that's probably putting out of anywhere between 800 to 1000 gph my question is is this too much flow for my tank

flower

Hi,

Bowfronts are hard for getting the flow right, or should I say it's a nightmare to do so. It isn't that it's too much flow for the tank, it's just too much flow for the corals you selected. Get a stick and attach a plastic ribbon on the end of it. Go from place to place in your tank to see exactly what kind of flow you have and where. That will help you decide on where to place your corals, some corals like really strong flow and others like it very quiet.

As long as all areas of your tank get some sort of flow you are good, there should be different amounts of flow depending on where you place the ribbon...if it flows straight out, you know it's high flow, if it drops to nothing, you have a dead spot that needs to be fixed by adjusting the power head. Once you get an idea of how strong a flow is, then place your coral. It's not good to keep moving it around, so try and find the best place before you move it, then let it alone to bloom on it's own...it may take a week if it's really stressed.

Ok thanks guys I took your advice flower and they seem to be doing alot better ive determined that the center of the tank will have to be high flow corals and the ends moderate-low flow