Flow in tank

E

e.es.c

I was wondering how much flow i should have in my tank like powerheads and stuff right now all i have are the two return pumps one is a rio 2500 and the other is a 1700 the 2500 goes through a uv and then into the tank and i have what i call dead spots on the surface i want more flow this is on a 125 if that helps at all so could you guys help me out

ams153

well depending on type of tank around 10x turnover is what you want.. id say just get a couple of power heads aim them at those dead spots and youll be fine!

Not sure the flow on your Rio's but I also have about the same time dank as you and I have enough flow to turn the water atleast 30-40 times an hour using two dolphin ampmaster 3000 pumps. Do a search on here for closed loop and check it out. Also let everyone here know how you have your 125 setup. Over back overflow, reef ready or what that way they can give you a better idea of setups.
Rich

E

e.es.c

thanks for the info and i have two over the back overflows

marinenut

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now after battling some algae problems. I have since placed a 650 gph powerhead in my 90 gallon, in addition to my 200gph powerhead on the other side of the tank. Of course the return pump is probably running at 500gph (Rated at 700 before the head calculation), that's about 15x and my frog spawn looked like it was going to blow out of the tank. I had to reposition the pumps, but still the flow looks crazy powerful. I can't imagine 20x !!