Flow

cufishfan

I've seen the coral chart that classifies what kind of lighting, flow and placement works best for various corals. I think I understand lighting- best lighting is metal hallide, worst is NO, etc.
What is considered low, medium and high flow?
Does it depend on size of the tank?
Flow is measured in gph, and can be figured out by adding gph ratings from powerheads, filters, return pumps etc, right?
Ex. If I have a 55g with about 1,250 gph flow (if everything is working perfectly, which I know it wont), what kind of flow is that?
Thanks!

keith burn

What is considered low, medium and high flow?---is flow for a tank or for the corasl?
Does it depend on size of the tank?

[hr]
yes if ues about 100x the tanks size you have hi flow low imo you do not need but for sea horse tank, medium imo about 50x the tanks size.
Flow is measured in gph, and can be figured out by adding gph ratings from powerheads, filters, return pumps etc, right?

[hr]
yes add it all up.
Ex. If I have a 55g with about 1,250 gph flow (if everything is working perfectly, which I know it wont), what kind of flow is that?---if you have 55gal x 100 = 5500 imo low not good add some.

saltfan

Originally Posted by keith burn
http:///forum/post/2950385
if you have 55gal x 100 = 5500 imo low not good add some.
I have 4 Hydor knock offs rated at 800gph each. ( 2400gph ). In a 6' tank, that is more than enough flow for a reef. Stuff is blowing all over the place. Normal fishy water 10x the turn over rate. Reef, 30 times the turn over rate is suffient.

keith burn

Originally Posted by SaltFan
http:///forum/post/2950481
I have 4 Hydor knock offs rated at 800gph each. ( 2400gph ). In a 6' tank, that is more than enough flow for a reef. Stuff is blowing all over the place. Normal fishy water 10x the turn over rate. Reef, 30 times the turn over rate is suffient.
imo 10x flow is the min for a saltweater tank 30x is good but 50x is were i rec flow to be in a reef and more will be better.