Fluval 304

T

tmy880

I have a 65 tank that is new and I just filled up today and starting to cycle with live rock.
I was told by my LFS that the Fluval 304 is not enough filter for the tank and that I need at least 2 of those or 5 times the tank size cycle per hour type of filter.
Is this true, if so I will have to buy another filter I guess.
Any insight is appreciated.
TMY880

sign guy

your lfs is right but dont waist your money on a can Id set up a sump and skimmer. much much better system

T

tmy880

My tank is glass and is tempered.
This isnt and option right now. In the past I've just used one canister filter and it seemed to be enough.
Is this something I have to purchase right away or can I wait until my tank is established as long as I do frequent water changes?

frankthetank

I'm unfamiliar with the 04 series, but I have a 305 on my 46g. If I were to buy a 60g+ tank, I would use a 405 fluval on my tank. I'm not much into building sumps and what not.
So I'm assumming that your 304 is compatible with my 305. Yea, I would just get a 405 and be done with it.

diggerules

I have a Fluval 405 in my 65g. It is rated for up to 100gph. It seems to do wonders. The thing I am trying to figure out is what type of media to use in it. If anyones knows please post.

hefner413

Originally Posted by tmy880
I have a 65 tank that is new and I just filled up today and starting to cycle with live rock.
I was told by my LFS that the Fluval 304 is not enough filter for the tank and that I need at least 2 of those or 5 times the tank size cycle per hour type of filter.
Is this true, if so I will have to buy another filter I guess.
Any insight is appreciated.
TMY880
I have a 303 canister on my 55 gal. It is suppose to do 222 gal per hr. It does a great job. But I now am looking into a sump. I just like the idea of getting the skimmer, heater below the tank and a refuge is a bonus too.