Fluval 404 Question

jbfastlane

Help - I purchased a Fluval 404 filter system. It's a nice system. However - I can't seem to get the unit to seal. Basically it leaks like crazy. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
I have gone over and over the instructions and seem to have all the right parts and assembled correctly. There is a rubber gasket that fits into a groove in the top piece and then supposedly seals the unit.
Has anyone else had these problems before??
Any advise on how to get a proper seal???
Thanks in advance.

2jz

i had this problem too. but i took everything off and followed instruction again....it finally worked after the 5th try.

holloway

Kind of a paint to get working but- always make sure the rubber gasket and the surface that house the gasket are good and wet.

beattyr

On the 404....
When I first jumped in aquariums, I bought a 90gal tank with a 404 and set it up as my cichlid tank. Its still running 3 years later and while I'm happy with the tank and the fish, I hate the Fluval. I wish I had saved the $$$ I spent on that filter and bought a couple hang on the back biowheels or a pair of magnum 150's. I have had the fittings for the hoses get brittle and break, the plunger for getting excess air out has broken and the plastic guide for the impeller has broken twice! One of the side clamps holding the lid on broke as well. Its a real pain to change medium in that unit as well.
If its possible still, I would recommend returning the sucker and getting something else....
Good luck either way though...
Rob