fluval 405 or fx5

brian95

i was woundering which is better for a 60 gal FO. i know the fx5 is 925 gph but the 405 is only 340gph. there will be messy eaters like puffers and triggers and others until they get bigger,then they'll go in my 120. i have in my 120 a wet/dry with a mag 1200gph also a coralife220 skimmer so i tend to over do it sometimes, so let me know what u think.

al&burke

I run an FX5 on my 65 gallon reef - I really like it the water is crystal clear - nitrates are a bit higher than I like - to be honest with you I am changing to a sump - I will use this filter on something else though. How do you like your coral life skimmer? Oh you are new I just noticed welcome to the forum. a lot of good people here that like to help.

brian95

thanks for responding. this is gonna be on a 2 foot wide tank so stand is not really big to put in a sump in.. going in sons room so there isnt much room for overflow box hanging on back thats why was looking at a canister set up

brian95

well went with a 56gal column 30w-18d-24h. was woundering if the 405 would be ok the stand wont fit a fx5. this is a fish only tank with a clean up crew.

al&burke

I would go with two 405 - you can set up your maintenance plan so you are only cleaning one canister every two wks. I think you need as much turn over as you can especially with a canister filter.