FO to reef tank

po40cal

My girlfriend currently has a tall 25 gal. fish only,1 1/2 inch sand bed, hang on millennium 3000 filter,PH, 4 small fish(reef friendly) and some crabs but wants to change it to a reef tank. It has been set up for a little over 6 months and all water params are good. My question is how do I go about converting it to a reef tank without killing the fish. Cant move them to my reef tank because I`ll never get them out with out a tear down and it would most likely cause havoc with my tank. She has,as of yet uninstalled , a canopy with about 100 watts of lights and 15lbs of uncured live rock in a tub with a PH going. I`ve told her she needs about 15-20lbs more. Does the uncured live rock need light on it or anything else while in the tub and should I expect to see a normal begining cycle ie: ammonia spike etc.. and then place it in the tank when the cycle is done? Any other help would be greatly appreicated.

michaeltx

thats sounds about right. make sure the rock is cured before adding that is the main thing that will cause you problems.
as far as light if there is anything on the rock alive that you want to keep then you will have to keep lite until you change it to the new tank.
the cycle should be a normal cycle. I would also rinse the rocks in aged SW before placeing in the tank to get the debris off that will accumalate.
Mike