Folks w/ Puffers

All you people out there with puffers.... I need to know what kind of set-up you've got. FO, FOWLR or I don't know if you've got a reef with a puffer swimming around in it.
The reason I'm asking is, I todaly trust my LFS and I don't think that they would steer me wrong, but I so want to keep my puffer, and at the same time am wanting LS & LR (i talked about this B4) but I keep getting denied. They say that the puffer will eat everything.
Please tell me if it is possible to have a dogface puffer and have LS/LR in the same tank.
I really really really want to get rid of the CC and fake stuff!

acez28

check sig. i havent had a problem with him biting on the rocks or other fish. He dont even go after my CBS anymore.

balistidae

just a word of warning...if that puffer dies watch out for a tank poisoning. It has happened to me twice and its awful

lionstorm

Pufferfish and live rock are fine together! Mine never bothers my live rock as long as I keep him well fed and happy. I would think live sand wouldn't be a problem either.

birdy

What do they think the Puffer will eat, sand and rocks? That doesn't make any sense. The Puffer may chew on the rocks to keep it's teeth worn down but they won't eat it. They will eat any snails or crabs that you try to keep in the tank. But I would really recommend that you do return the puffer, you have too many big fish in your size tank and a puffer is very messy, you will have water quality issues.

Birdy, I've been told that everything produced by the LR/LS will be eaten, and the way I was told, anything that grows in the tank wont be around long enough to thrive.
I don't want to give up the puffer, it's my fav, and I understand that my tank is a little on the small size but combined I have about 13" of fish. I will be getting a bigger tank in the near future. I'm thinking 120-125 gal.
The tank I have now is acrylic and I would like to go to glass w/ the LR if LR is possible.

acez28

you dont do the rule of thumb by the size of the fish now....you do it by full grown size. And like i said i have had my puffer awhile now and i havent witnessed it eating anything off the LR. It doesnt eat my snails or hermits

AceZ28, do you think it might have something to do with the puffer family. You've got a porci and I have a dog face (arothron Manilensis) or are all SW puffers pretty much the same in there environment. I just dont understand why the LFS keeps telling me it's a bad idea.
What is the rule, and how far past it am I :confused:
Bow Tie guy?:cool:

birdy

The general rule is 1inch per 5gal. But it is more important to look at your water quality. With a large puffer you may only be able to keep one or two other small fish because they are such messy eaters. I know you feel your LFS knows what they are talking about but I don't know why you couldn't keep a puffer with LR and LS, they prefer larger meatier things to eat than the tiny life on LR and LS.