FOM: Syngnathids

celacanthr

anyone else?
well, my tank plan is a jawfish pair of bangaii's and H. erectus, or reidi. I can not decide.
H. Erectus get bigger than reidi, but have that awesome cirri.
H. reidi smaller, and cheaper, but no cirri
Im also getting shrooms, soft corals and polyps for my tank.

celacanthr

37 tall (plenty of vertical breeding dancing space for both)
the fine people at seahorse.org said that jawfish and bangaii's are fine companions, and that 37 is plenty of space for erectus or reidi.
Do you agree?

darth tang

I agree. How many horses are you planning on keeping? You will have to watch your Bioload with a tank that size however. Not from the seahorses so much but the number of fish you add with them.

pammy

Darth, it sounds like you have a cool seahorse tank! Mine is a 42 gallon hex. I have 2 peppermint shrimp, a horseshoe crab (until he gets too big), 3 hermit crabs, 8 various snails, a flamed scallop, 2 feather dusters, 1 yellow sea cucumber, and 2 fabulous pairs of h. erectus. :jumping: Anyone else out there have a seahorse tank?
Smiles,
Pam :joy:

darth tang

How are you caring for your scallop and Horse shoe crab? I had both once and they didn't last to long. Everything I have read and seen indicates these don't do well in tanks. Just wondering if you have a regiment you are following to care for them.
I need to get me some dusters besides what came on my rock.
I just transfered my gorgonians and sun corals to my newer fifty five to start my "fake reef" tank I have been planning. Now my horses have just a plethora of fake plants in with them. They actually seem to be swimming more with a bit of open space. Had to move the gorgonian and sun corals as I had an algae outbreak that seems to have been irritating them. Need to go invest in a couple seahares. My horse tank is getting overgrown with hair algae now. Need to up my flow I am thinking a bit.

darth tang

They aren't poisonous. They can however release an "ink" that is toxic to fish if greatly stressed.
You should be fine with your tank size on one pair. I would just limit your fish tankmates to two or three at the most.

darth tang

Originally Posted by crashedin0
how about a lawnmower bleeny shrooms and seahorses
Was that a question? If so, that is do able. But Lawnmower blennies can get aggressive sometimes.

pammy

Hi Darth!

I have had the scallop and horseshoe crab for about 6 months. I throw shrimp pellets and extra mysis shrimp in the tank at feeding time for the horses. I also put in a few drops of the Kent product for filter feeders. So far all's well, but I've learned with this saltwater stuff, it can change in an instant!
Smiles,
Pam