formalin question

shookbrad

I am treating my purple tang for ick. I am doing a 45 minute formalin dip every other day. My question is, I have mixed up a 1 gallon dip container(20 drops). Can I use the same dip water for each dip or do I need to remix the bath for every dip.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by shookbrad
I am treating my purple tang for ick. I am doing a 45 minute formalin dip every other day. My question is, I have mixed up a 1 gallon dip container(20 drops). Can I use the same dip water for each dip or do I need to remix the bath for every dip.
Remix water everytime that you drip. Also 45 minutes is IMO too long. I would say only do it for 20-25 minutes tops b/c u dont want to give him formaldahide poisoning

peter1215

hey Shook, i just read the Formalin bottle and it says , "2 drops per gallon", not twenty. I know in Beths thread on treatment with Formalin says 20 drops, but the manufacturer says two!
Beth
can you pleaese adivse if your instructiuons of 20 drops was a typo? I myself had to do a fomalin bath today to one of my fish that kept on shaking and shimmering.

peter1215

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
What brand are you using, Peter?
I know the Kordon brand you need to use 1 tsp. per 10 gallons.
Lion
i'm using the formalin by Aquarium products. Its exactly the same bottle that Beth has on her thread but she recomends 20 drops .

92protruck

I can assure you there's no typo. Beth recommends 20 drops for a bath. This question has been asked many times. I think the directions on the bottle are for adding to the tank or longer term than the high potent dip/bath that Beth recommends.

peter1215

Originally Posted by 92ProTruck
I can assure you there's no typo. Beth recommends 20 drops for a bath. This question has been asked many times. I think the directions on the bottle are for adding to the tank or longer term than the high potent dip/bath that Beth recommends.
isnt formalyn toxic enough so wouldnt you be taking a chance of doing permanent damage to the fish by doubling the dose?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by shookbrad

This is not effective for ich. The standard options are hyposalinity or copper. Hypo being preferred because of less side effects on fish. Take a look at the into on this topic in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.

lion_crazz

Beth, could you clarify something in this thread, about the formalin bath, please?
Peter said, "Beth can you pleaese adivse if your instructiuons of 20 drops was a typo? I myself had to do a fomalin bath today to one of my fish that kept on shaking and shimmering."

peter1215

Originally Posted by Beth
This is not effective for ich. The standard options are hyposalinity or copper. Hypo being preferred because of less side effects on fish. Take a look at the into on this topic in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.
Beth
if my Queen angel continues to have the shakes/shimmies , what would you recommend i do and do you think this is a different type of parasite other than ich? The queen has no visible signs of any parasaites, just the occasional shimmering and scratches its face agaisnt objects. I gave her a 5 minute bath in "quick cure" today and lowered the SG level to 1.020. I have a fowlr . no inverts . would it help if i lowered the sg level to at least 1.015? I have a 15g QT thats been runing for a month but i think its too smal for a 5" queen plus there are two percs in there right now. thanks
Peter