Formalin Treatment Question...

D

drjay50000

If im useing formalin to treat a fish in a QT can i still use an amonia controling substance??? Or will that remove some of the meds makeing it worthless??? :notsure:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Formalin should be mostly used as bathes, not placed in the QT. What are you trying to treat?

D

drjay50000

I have a powder blue tang that im treating for ick. i have a main tank that im running for a month with no fish in it to get rid of the ick problem there. I cant treat the main tank because of the inverts in it. So i started hypo in the QT for the tang and just wanted to make sure the ick was Gone for good. i didnt want to use copper because thats bad for the fish i hear. I put formalin in the QT last night and he doesnt seem to be under any stress at all. The only problem is that the ammonia is starting to go up now 0.50 and i needed to know if the ammonia media that I put in the tank will do the same thing as carbon does, take out the meds. is useing formalin other then dips bad to do? I was just following directions on the bottle. if so tell me how to do the dips,there is no directions for dips on the lable. :help:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Stop using the formalin. It is not very effective for ich. And, it is a very potent medication that can be toxic. Do you have a refractometer?

lovmyangl

I Have Used Formalin For Years To Cure Ich And It Works Everytime. 2 Drops Per Gallon Of Water. 25% Water Change 24hrs Later Wait 10 Days And Retreat Same Way, With 25% Water Change 24hrs Later. If Ich Is Still Seen Do All Over Again Cause Ich Is On A 30 Day Cycle, Formalin Has Never Failed For Me. Be Sure To Remove Carbon As It Eats Up The Formalin Making Treatment Useless.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Formalin is a rather potent drug that can damage fish tissue over long-term exposure. Hyposalinity is a better treatment. Of course, formalin does have definite use.