formula 1 frozen cubes

wablondie98664

i just bought some formula 1 frozen cubes yester day and i can't get them to break up small enough for my fish to eat. it's like rubber. anyone ever use this food? any tips on how to get it to break up?

robchuck

I feed my tank Formula 1 and Formula 2 frozen cubes quite often. I've found that putting the cube in a cup of RO/DI water with a few drops of garlic extract then nuking it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds works well for me. I then stir the cup so the food breaks up and let it sit until it returns to room temperature. Whatever doesn't get poured in the tank goes in the fridge (I try to use up each batch within 24 hours). I've also been mixing very small amounts of Cyclop-eeze into the batches lately.
I've used this method for a few years and have never had problems with disease or observed any adverse reactions related to the food being nuked. The fish attack it the same way they attack the freshly prepared treats I occasionally feed them.

ags

I use a razor blade and slice off enough for each feeding then cut that piece into tiny cubes big enough for them to eat.
With trial and error I figured out how much of a cube I needed to feed each time.

diddley

i use plastic toothpicks and just wave the cubes in the tank for a moment, and then put cube back in the freezer. keep in mind that i have two small tanks and don't want to overfeed. i also just dip frozen cyclopeeze in bar form for a moment as well. easy and seem to work fine for me.

zanemoseley

try to use a razor blade to make shavings and feed that, thats the way my fish prefer and the food floats better than when fed in cubes

clarkiiboi

I do the same as RobChuck does, but use tank water instead. I learned that breaking it up manually (without the microwave) just leaves bigger/unwanted pieces. Then the next day (I also put the extra in fridge) it settles to the bottom in 1 big clump, and its a hassle again to break it up again. Nuking it for a few seconds and then swirling it around to break it up---works for me too. HTH

brooklyn johnny

The best way I have found is to use a turkey baster and slurp up the whole thawed cube. It takes about 10 seconds and three or four slurps depending on how broken up you want it, and is much easier than using a razor blade to try and make a mini rubix cube...
Incidentally I too thaw in a little bit of tank water, sometimes mixing with garlic extract and sometimes with Selcon.
HTH

zanemoseley

Originally posted by Neowind
Are you sure nuking fish food is a safe thing to do? :thinking:

you eat microwaved food don't you?

saltfin

I have sort of a half plastic cup I mix my mysis shrimp and formula one in with 2 drops of garlic extract per teaspoon. I get about half a jigger of main tank sw in cup, break off mysis hunks add a couple of form. one chunks - let all thaw out the first time by hanging cup about half an inch into the tank water for heat. I rigged up a hook affair for this. After all is warm enough I mense up with a plastic knife you get from McDonald's or whereever. I just mash the formula one until I like the sizes. This really doesn't take very long. After mixing well I feed a little then refrigerate the rest in a small refrig. I have for fish food and BEER. Next time I just sit in water with the hanger device, warm up and Yep have a beer. I only feed this maybe 3 times a week.
:D