Formula One has copper - is if safe?

marineguys

I noticed that my formula one frozen food has copper sulfate listed as one of the ingredients. I thought copper was bad for invertebrates... But it says it is reef safe. Is it?

lion_crazz

Sea salt has copper in it as well. There is a tiny bit of copper in natural sea water. As long as it is a tiny bit, it is perfectly fine.

hatessushi

wow..I just read this from the National fish Pharmaceuticals website...Copper is a heavy metal ion and is considered a "Poison". Care should be used when handling this product.
I would guess that at some point there would be a minimum amount that could be in any tank.

lion_crazz

Just like with anything, you have to be sure not to OD when using. This comes from MadSci.org:
Large amounts of copper can be toxic. The recommended intake of copper for adults is 1.5-3.0 mg per day. The exact amount of copper required to produce toxicity is not known but is at least twice the recommended amount.
Copper poisoning has resulted from ingestion of several grams at one tie, use of copper salts on burned skin, drinking water from contaminated water supplies, consumption of acidic food or beverages that have been stored in unlined copper containers, and long-term use of copper-containing pesticides. There would not be any danger from a piece of copper falling into a soup pot, unless the copper was allowed to remain in the soup for an extended storage time.
For most of us, the amount of copper we encounter from drinking water from copper pipes or from other sources is not enough to produce any symptoms of toxicity. Copper cooking utensils should be "lined" or coated with another metal to prevent exposure to potentially harmful levels of copper.

chipmaker

What about all that beer and other spirits that is cooked inthose huge copper kettles.......or those places that sell fuge and are there cooking it in front of you in large copper kettles. My house here and the ones before this were all plumbed in copper, no problems ever, and we have fooled with fish problably 35+ years now. Formula One is a major player in the fish food market, and its used by tons of folks. Odds are you'll find traces of copper as well as other junk that is deadly in most anything you eat or drink or feed to your critters........