Fowlr.....or More =)?

azaintcold

Okay. I've been bitten by the bug. I was intending on a FOWLR, but now thinking about expanding into some easily kept softies. Now here is the question. I will get reef safe fish etc, I'm comfortable with that subject... fine. But the question is, I have the regular run of the mills lighting that came with the tank stand hood combo for a 150g. Are there really any softies I can keep with this lighting, or will I have to upgrade? If there are please list types thanks! :thinking:

cannonman

If they are regular flourecents then I would imagine you would have to upgrade. You woudn't have to go all out and get MH for softies, maybe some t-5's, or VHO..BUT: you may end up like many people really enjoying the coral aspect and wind up wanting some other sps or lps in which case you may have to upgrade again...IMO you should just bite the bullet and buy a good set up MH with acintics then in the future you won't be limited in what you can put in there..at least not limited in terms of the lighting...

mopar9012

If I think its the kind of light your talking about, then no you cant keep corals with that.
You need lights like PC to keep softies. MH lighting and T-5 are better IMO.
I HAD PC lighting and my zoos were slowly disapearing.

johnny84

It wouldnt hurt to upgrade the lights if you want to start a reef tank, but if you want to try some softies, try some mushrooms first. You can get a sun coral, they dont require much light at all.