FOWLR water flow

jdj72

How much water flow is needed in a fish and live rock tank and is a random pattern of flow as important as in one with corals?I have a 125 gallon but turnover times per hour answer is fine (.e. 10X 15X ect.)

badoleross

10 times per hours is about the minimum you want to have. I am currently running about 20 times per hour in my 220 FOWLR. Anything higher then that my fish dont seem to care for.

dmjordan

I'm running 20x in my tank. As far as the pattern you still want to keep an eye out to make sure you don't form any dead spots. Adjust the powerhead angle, height, direction as needed to keep movement throughout your tank.

dmjordan

Originally Posted by Saltwater8
So if you have a 60 gallon tank you would need to use 2 canister filters rated at 300 G.P.H.?

The gph for your tank consist of all things in ylou tank producing water movement added together. I have a 55 gal tank. My canister is 350 gph, powersweep PH is 160 gph, maxijet PH is 295 goh, and my aqua c remora skimmer is 295 gph all totaling 1100 gph. You can add another filter for either extra water movement or extra filtration but if you only need to increase your water movement then powerheads are cheaper.

dmjordan

Originally Posted by jerzytwinz
how do you know if you have dead spots

The way I did it was I fed my tank some frozen brine shrimp (thawed in tank water). I put it in on one side of the tank and watched it. Where ever I saw that the brine shrimp had stopped moving or settled on the bottom I adjusted my powerhead placement accordingly. If you see an area where water is not moving below your powerhead you can lower your PH some which creates movement by pulling the water into it and sending it out the other end.