Foxface has brown spots help!?

zsalinas

Last night I seen my foxface has two brown spots. One on each side. They're like perfect circles. He is acting normal and so are all of the other fish. Still eating and happily swimming around. Does anybody have any idea what this is. Thanks in advance

B

barkdog

Fox faces can change colors. When scared or in the dark they turn pale and brown spots will appear. He's fine.
For the first few weeks I had mine, he would turn so pale and would just lay flat on his side... I thought he was dying or dead a bunch of times. Now he's comfy in the tank and doesnt do it as often. He stays bright yellow most of the time.

unleashed

if you can post a photo of your fish it would help alot.some yellow foxfaces do have a black spot, one each side .i have never owned the yellow version(foxface lo) but have seen both with and without a spot.

zsalinas

I know what spot your talkin about the big black spots. He doesn't have those type of spots. These are pretty small and in opposite spots on his sides and they're brown. Ones by his tail and one is in the middle of his side. I'm at work so I can't post a picture. He's acting completely normal. Could he just be gettin nipped at by my ebili angel or something? I saw the angel chasin him like a week ago.

unleashed

its very possible these are caused by injuiry from other fish nipping at him .your angel better watch out if that foxface nails him hes a gonner lol.watch for infections

zsalinas

well the angel looks like he has a little beek so i'm thinkin that could be it. My foxface is very timid and just runs away although he could sting the crap out of him. It's weird they're like buds always swimmin around and hangin out then sometimes i think the angel gets a while hair and chases him for a quick second then he's done. How will i know if it's infected and what should i do if it is?

unleashed

keep you water quality up watch for spread of the injured areas or swelling or reddening.if need be treat with antibiotic(in qt)

B

barkdog

I really dont think you need to worry.... its just something they do. How long has he been in the tank? Chances are he just needs to get comfortable.

zsalinas

I've seen him change all those colors like when he's stressed and stuff. I've never seen these dots before. They're weird i'll try to get a picture tonight when I go home. He's been in there I think a little over 2 months. He's going great and loves his algae sheets. Just noticed these spots yesterday. It's weird they're like perfect circles and are brown even when he's bright yellow.

unleashed

Originally Posted by Zsalinas
I've seen him change all those colors like when he's stressed and stuff. I've never seen these dots before. They're weird i'll try to get a picture tonight when I go home. He's been in there I think a little over 2 months. He's going great and loves his algae sheets. Just noticed these spots yesterday. It's weird they're like perfect circles and are brown even when he's bright yellow.
sounds like possibly black ich
Black Spot Disease
Other Names: None
Symptoms: Flicking and scratching against rocks and other surfaces, small black spots on the body.
Comments: This disease is caused by small parasitic worms. The black spots are usually not as numerous as those in white spot disease. Also, black spot disease is not nearly as deadly.
Treatment: If the infestation is minor, a 5 minute freshwater bath may prove effective. Discontinue the freshwater bath if the fish begins to become overly stressed. For worse cases, use a copper or trichlorofon based solution. In a reef tank environment, the infected fish must be moved to a hospital tank for treatment. Never add copper compounds to an aquarium containing invertebrates. Some new treatments have appeared on the market recently which claim to control parasites in the marine aquarium. Consult your local aquarium dealer for more information.
Prevention: Insure good water quality and temperature parameters to prevent animals from getting stressed. Stress breaks down the protective mucous coating on a fish and allows parasites to gain a foothold. Additionally, any new fishes should be given a short freshwater bath and kept in a quarantine tank for two to three weeks before being introduced into the main aquarium. The use of an ultraviolet sterilizer has also been shown to help prevent outbreaks of this disease.

zsalinas

Can anybody please help me? I don't know what this could be. I've searched the disease forums and everything. Thanks again.

unleashed

its very hard to tell from the photos but you did mention another fish nipping at him it does not look like black ich im just grasping at straws here possibly wounds becomming infected

zsalinas

The pictures I seen of black ich don't look anything like it. They're bigger spots then that. I haven't seen the angel chase him at all this week. As fast as it's spreading I don't think it's that. He's still the only one with the spots. I couldn't get the pictures to post any bigger. It was hard to snap the pictures cause he's always swimmin around.

unleashed

i would remove the fish and treat her with antibiotics before it becomes a secondary infection if its not already.the only product i know that is safe for in main tank is mlafix which may or may net help but is less stressfull .how does she eat does she get alot of greens in her diet more than meaty?only asking this for an idea of how strong her imune system may be

zsalinas

I would say a lot more greens then meats. She'll eat the occasional mysis when I feed the other fish but mostly the algae sheets. I also have garlic xtreme I supplement with the feedings as well. Would it be ok to use that mlafix stuff with other fish and inverts in there and stuff?