Foxface Questions

J

jessed244

I have a few questions about Foxface? I was interested in getting a small one for my tank. The site says minimum tank size 55 gal, but i know not all of you agree, mine is 55g What are your opinions??
What Fish are they compatible with??
I read on here that they are venemous, that i did not know!, How bad are they, they look so cool, but I would be a little nervous about having a poisonous fish in my tank, What does anyone think???
Thanks so much!

groupergenius

Should be fine in a 55 for a while. I have 3 in a 120, 90, 75. They are very friendly fish and the venomous part I believe is in their fins.
Also a great algae muncher.

J

jessed244

They just look so friendly and cute, I couldnt believe they were venomous, I figured they would be ok for a while in a 55, I am just worried I will get stung by there fin if I am in the tank for something, I guess I will def have to get those long rubber aquarium gloves to be safe lol!

leftyblite

It is thier top fins that are venemous and only show them when they are frightened. I've heard that it feels like a bad bee sting you happen to get stung. Don't worry mine usually stays away from me when I clean the tank. I love his personality though, he always wants attention and tries to beg for food and when I come near the tank he never raises his top fins. Pretty peaceful fish, I have him with a dwarf lion, blue tang, flame angel and snowflake eel. Even though he is the biggest he is the most peaceful of all. He usually shares a cave with the angel.

patandlace

A smaller one would be fine in a 55 for a while IMO. I would plan on upgrading eventually though. I agree with leftyblite about their personallity. They are fun fish. I've fed mine out of my hands before but don't on a regular basis. I don't want him to start associating my hand in the tank with food.

J

jessed244

Thanks so much, I think I will end up getting a small one. They seem like so much fun!

R

rcreations

They're very friendly after they get used to the tank. I hand feed mine algae sheets. The spikes on their back are venomous but they only raise them when they're scared and only in self defense. Otherwise very peaceful fish and yea, I say you can get one for a 55gal.

al mc

All good advice. The other thing I would point out is do not be alarmed with the color changes. When 'sleeping' or stressed they lose that deep yellow color and can become spotted/white.....very distrubing the first time you see it!

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by Al Mc
http:///forum/post/2555668
All good advice. The other thing I would point out is do not be alarmed with the color changes. When 'sleeping' or stressed they lose that deep yellow color and can become spotted/white.....very distrubing the first time you see it!

Very good point, they almost turn a camo color. Very interesting after your heart starts beating again (from the first sighting of it). They are amazing fish.

leftyblite

Mine always turns the camo color when resting at night and then back to normal most of the time in the daytime.

leftyblite

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
http:///forum/post/2555675
Very good point, they almost turn a camo color. Very interesting after your heart starts beating again (from the first sighting of it). They are amazing fish.
My heart did too, couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong

J

jessed244

Thanks so much for all of your advice and Info, I really think I will get one of them when my tank is ready for fish.
Now I have read to add like One fish at a time, is this true?
If so at what stage should the foxface be added? first, middle, last, doesnt matter?
Thanks So much!

quakstar

You would be fine with one in a 55 it might take it a while to get acquainted and you be able to see it alot bc they are kinda skidish fish that like to hide a little. But they become a great fish that you see with a great personality and gets along with everything.
Yes the poison is in the spines which i really believe is really just a defense for them if they are being eaten i have never seen mine use his as an external weapon

leftyblite

Unless you are planning to add an aggressive fish it shouldn't really matter what order to put it in. If also putting in an aggressive fish, put the foxface in first, this gives it a chance to establish territory without being greatly harrassed. I've read this several times on this site, so I hope I'm right, but then again all fish seem to have their own personalities adn all you can do is hope for the best and enjoy. I love my foxface and am very happy I got him. My 6 year old daughter loves his camo mode and would prefer he stayed in that instead of his natural colors. Good luck!!!

fats71

I have a large fox face in my 75 gal. I hand feed it algae sheets. The top fins and the anal fins are what have the toxin in them. if it breaks the skin it feels not so good and if allergic to bees you should goto the Emergency room ASAP. If not ride it out and watch the extremity it hit swell to a nice size.
Mine runs side by side with my blue spot puffer they are like twins. they eat next to each other swim next to each other go thru the shrimp car wash together its so cool to see.
I would not trade mine for anything very awsome fish just when ya get one and put it into a net ( don't use a net) don't grab it to get it out or your gonna pull back a ouch !!!!! swish it in the water back and forth instead to get him out.

J

jessed244

So how do i get him from the acclimation tub to the tank without using a net???? Thanks