Foxface Rabbitfish Discoloration

olympia

Hello~! I hope I'm posting in the right section. This is my first time using the forums here.
I recently started up a 56 gallon Fish-Only tank. After careful planning, I selected a Foxface Rabbitfish and an Eibli Angelfish as my first two fish. I experienced the "discoloration" in my Foxface during acclimation, but once he got settled in he went right back to his beautiful yellow.
Now, last week I decided to add one last fish - a juvenile Volitan Lionfish. She's only about 2 inches long, shy and rather docile. When I introduced her to the tank, my foxface came over and started rubbing against her! I couldn't tell if he was cut by any of her spines. He didn't seem stressed or awkward and I was truly surprised by this unusual display. The lionfish didn't seem bothered either. She just sat there and allowed the Foxface to rub against her a few times - and they haven't bothered each other since.
I have no idea if that has any relevence, but since then my Foxface hasn't seemed well. He's often discolored and his spines all raised. This occurs whether the lights are on or off. He hides a lot which makes it difficult to feed him. The other fish come right up to me when it's time to feed them, but he stays hidden. I'm worried about him not getting enough food.
Any suggestions on what to do?
All three of my fish are juvenile and very small still. My Foxface and Angelfish are no more than 2-2 1/2 inches and my Volitan is actually the smallest of the three. None have shown aggression towards each other. All my chemical levels are perfect.
So I'm stumped! Any advice is much appreciated.

ci11337

if he had been stung i think you would be able to see marks. Are you feeding dried seaweed for the foxface? small herbivores need alot of veggies. A foxface is a tough fish, just make sure he gets fed and he should recover, provided your params are all good.

bang guy

If it's displaying camoflage colors in the daytime then it's being stressed. I doubt it was stung.
What are the water parameters?

olympia

As of last night, these were my parameters:
Gravity: 1.025
pH: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nirate: 0
Nitrite: 0
I know it's best to keep those last three as low as possible, but with three fish in the tank I would have expected them to raise just a little. Since I'm new at this (and very scared of messing up) I've been checking the chemicals every night just to be safe and those have been my consistent results.
Something I just realized (it didn't occur to me because I didn't think it was an issue) I have one artificial rock amoung my live rocks. It had an airstone inside that I finally hooked up to an airpump this weekend. The discoloration happened around the same time. Is it possible he's afraid of the bubbles?
Also, is it possible he's afraid of ME? He didn't seem to be at first. He swam freely and didn't seem bothered by my presense when I would sit and watch them or feed them. But I noticed this morning, when I stopped to feed them before leaving for work, that his color was more normal and he was out and about. But as soon as I came over and shrank back and his colors dimmed again.
Thanks again for all the input. I really appreciate it.

ci11337

i would unhook the air bump. bubbles aren't necessary in a SW tank. An they may be scaring him. What kind of equipment do you have on the tank?

R

rcreations

I doubt it was stung. I've had an emeror angel rub against a lionfish MANY times without any problems. It sounds like your Foxface is stressed out about something. Are any of the other fish bothering it at all? I noticed with my Foxface, when I introduce a new fish, it gets stressed for 2 or 3 days. But then it goes back to normal. Have you been doing any work in the tank lately. Maybe you scared it and now it's just afraid of you. It shouldn't last long though.

olympia

56gal tank & stand
Fluval 305 Canister Filter
Submersible Heater
Corallife Protein Skimmer
A water pump I haven't hooked up yet because the current from my filter seems like too much for the little guys sometimes... ^_^;;
About 10lbs of LR and 60lbs of LS
2 handfuls of live algae plants
I am planning on getting more LR. The LFS hasn't had anything worthwhile the past couple of weeks and I was worried about over-crowding the tank.
Like I said, I never even thought to consider the bubbles. I did it more for decoration than anything else. But I will try disconnecting the airpump for a few days to see if that helps settle my Foxface down. I missed him swimming around with his cute little fish-grin! :D