FoxFace

zsalinas

I feed my foxface the algae sheets with a little bit of kents garlic extreme on there and then when i feed the other fish he eats some of their food as well. I've found out the hard way its good to keep a mixture of food in there. I've followed Beth's recipe and they all seem to love it.

unleashed

i feed both my foxfaces and all my tangs 3 times per day they have the same dietary needs
AM: they get pellets thera+A non medicated antiparesitic formula by spectrum
lunch: veggie flakes by omega one and the pellets for the fish that dont like flakes
afternoon snack: seaweed selects
pm: foods added for tangs and foxfaces are: emerald entrese,formula 2 ,cyclopseze.
with garlic extreme and selcon.i break up the formula 2 cubes so all the fish get some.
my first foxface(majestic) lived on this diet for 3 1/2 yrs 1 yr of she had no lower jaw due to puffer feeding frenzy accedent.unfortunately she could not compete with my sail fin tang when i added her to its tank
this is the same diet i keep my bi colored foxface of 2 yr
and my new majestic foxface just over a month
hope this helps

unleashed

Originally Posted by angelfan28
i stick some lettuce on a clip and put it in the aquarium and he loves it.i do that once or twice a week.
you only feed him a couple times a week?just lettuce? how long have you had this fish.what other foods are you adding to the tank and how often.

boalgf

I feed mine mysis shrimp, nori, flake food, and spectrum pellets. I like the pellets when I'm in a hurry, you just drop them right in and they are the perfect size for tangs and foxfaces to swallow whole.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by angelfan28
i stick some lettuce on a clip and put it in the aquarium and he loves it.i do that once or twice a week.
if that is all s/he gets, that sounds like a perfect formula for HLLE

rrundle77

can hlle occur from stress I have a powder blue that wont leave my fox face alone. Now fox face has early signs of hlle.

unleashed

Originally Posted by rrundle77
can hlle occur from stress I have a powder blue that wont leave my fox face alone. Now fox face has early signs of hlle.
all illnesses can be more noticable in stressful accurances but the most common suspected cause of HLLE is nutrition deficientcy.ensureing a proper diet for your fish is very critical in keeping them for long periods of time.but if your PB is harrassing him it may also be making it more difficult to get enough food.so I guess in a round about way the answer could be yes.fish that are hungry and have to compete for grazing scraps tend to be much more aggressive.
.my only advice to help end some aggression(it may not be 100% effective)for that .is a feeding schedule simular to my above post.this will at least help with the HLLE

rrundle77

yes somewhat
1 cube am Hikari mega marine algae
2x2 sheet mid-day sea weed veggies
pinch pm omega marine flakes
I have also put lurpa (sp) in for the tang when I feed the fox face helps a bit but not 100 %

unleashed

yes somewhat
1 cube am Hikari mega marine algae
2x2 sheet mid-day sea weed veggies
pinch pm omega marine flakes
I have also put lurpa (sp) in for the tang when I feed the fox face helps a bit but not 100 %
how many fish total in the tank and what species if other.in light of the the foods your are feeding my oppion is they are not getting enough nutrients from these foods all information i could find on the hikari mega marine flakes was this
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 12.0% Min.
Crude Fat 1.5% Min.
Crude Fiber 10.0% Max.
Moisture 72.0% Max.( i see more moisture here than i do nutrients)
Ingredients: sea algae, sea urchin,
this shows very little added vit suppliments the poduct states it has them but does not list them at all
seeweed sheets are great as a snack soaked in selcon for added nutriton .without added suppliments it does not have all required nutirents your hebivores need.
omega marine flakes are best for omnivores they contain good meaty nutrition and some veggie as part of a diet for omnivores.
omega does however make 2 other types of foods I use veggie flakes(meant for herbovores)and omnivores contains more veggies for these species.another is omega kelp flakes as a good source of veggie i dont think it contains meaty though.
what im seeing is not enough true nutritional value being offered in the food source IMO and every thing is in dried form .offer them much better foods maybe some frozen prepaired foods these fish should be fed a nutricous diet 3-4 timees daily and a variety with a few suppliments such as selcon and garlic extreme .the foods i use have been very effective in keeping my fish very healthy and active .you can veiw my tangs in the photography forum under tangs tangs tangs.

rrundle77

Thank you very much for your in depth answer
do you have any suggestions as far as brands. BTW only foxface and powder blue in tank both small. It seems odd because the more difficult fish PB is in great condition (nice beer belly and color)and the foxface is doing poorly :notsure:

unleashed

i realy do like the thera+A pellets by spectrum my fish go nuts for them and they are extremely enriched with lots of vit and minerals including garlic.these are sinking pellets so the fish can graze naturally for a while on them (great for shy eaters) i use these every morning and midday feeding(along with veggie flakes by omega one)i reccomend using this as an after noon feeding for your fish because of the health issues of your foxface several feedings in a day 4 to 5 last feeding 10 min before lights go out i use formula 2 frozen cubes(algae)mixed with emerald entrese(algae based with added mysis) thaw in a cup of tank water i also add garlic extreme(galirlic suppliment for vit C and selcon a very good vit suppliment with essential ameno acids (marine lipids) vit B12 200 mg and garlic(200 mg of vit C.after the food is thawed smoosh the cubes up in the cup the pour into the tank i suggest 1 cube emerald and 2 cubes formula 2 per evening every day.because of heavy feeding ans waste production of herbivores i do recommend at least 20% water changes weekly to keep water quality up to par.you may also find much less agression with these fish towards each other as they wont be combatting each other so feircly over food.i hope this helps.

unleashed

time to go food shopping

i will warn you these are not the cheepest foods or suppliments to find but to me and my fish they are worth every penny i paid for them.besides if we wanted cheep we wouldnt have sw fish as a hobby lol

rrundle77

I was reading that clams will help a tank with messy eaters do they feed on nitrites any truth to this??. I have a Linka to help w/ nitrites already

unleashed

well clams are filter feeders they eat small particles of food in the water but as far as reducing nitrates i realy dont know i do hoever know if the ammonia nitrates and nitrites are too high they will parish just like everything else

milwaukeem

I am very new to this hobby but look forward to having it for a long time to come.... I currently have a clown, foxface rabbit, and a koran angel, I have had them now for about a week... When purchasing the fish I also of coarse purchased food as well... Like a normal newbie would do is go by what the person in the LFS advises them to feed the fish.... So I purchased frozen brine shrimp cubes & frozen plaknton cubes... He advised to feed one cube of each, once a day.... Now after reading this thread I realize people almost create a menu for there fish.... Now my only question is what is the best "menu" for the fish I have and how often do I need to feed them???