Frag question ?

leboeuf

I fragged a bunch of stuff this weekend and am having a hardtime with this issue. I want to place fragged pieces onto large submerged rocks. I would prefer to attach direct without having to pull out LR and dry and glue. Is there a product out there that anyone has had success with underwatering glue/attaching? I used a water safe blue epoxy but it sucked and didn't adhear to the frags, just the LR.....

overanalyzer

Originally posted by LeBoeuf
I fragged a bunch of stuff this weekend and am having a hardtime with this issue. I want to place fragged pieces onto large submerged rocks. I would prefer to attach direct without having to pull out LR and dry and glue. Is there a product out there that anyone has had success with underwatering glue/attaching? I used a water safe blue epoxy but it sucked and didn't adhear to the frags, just the LR.....

I used a toothpick and shoved the toothpick into a hole in the rock.... then I let it attach!

one thing though...If you remove the piece and net it I would not reduce the amount of current. The net should be tight enough to hold the frag to the rock and let it attach. Reducing the current may allow detritus to settle on the frag and cause other problems.
FWIW
SiF
PS I prefer netting to a toothpick...It has proven to yield better results IME,

overanalyzer

Slowest is fasest - have not seen you around here for a while ... what's up!
Also - I too prefer the netting but when nothing else will do ....

leboeuf

netting seems impossible. I have big base rocks that I am trying to attach the frags to. Toothpicks in theory sound great, but none of the holes is deep enough or small enough for this method. The biggest issue is I can't see while placing the frags, bent over the top of the tank looking down through the water sucks! I'll figure it out. thxs

overanalyzer
I have been really busy with work...I lurk when I have time and chime in when I can....:D
LeBoeuf
Netting frags to a large rock makes it harder but not impossible. Cut a square of the netting 1/2" to 3/4" bigger than would be needed to cover the coral and touch the rock.
Place the frag inside the netting (outside the aquarium) and using a gel super glue put a dot on each corner of the netting...don't be stingy with the glue.
If you're like me and do not mind getting some super glue on your fingers then hold the frag and netting together between your thumb and forefinger and place it into the tank. Once it is on the rock carefully apply pressure to the corners of the netting with the glue. If you do not want to use your finger then a 1/4" wooden or plastic dowel works well. Be sure to spin the dowel and slide it off the net as opposed to just tamping it in place to avoid the netting attaching to the dowel/your finger instead of the rock.
After several weeks remove the netting.
SiF

leboeuf

Right !:p
Both my leathers that I fragged and superglued to little rocks broke loose. They must have dropped that slime crap and fell off. SUCKS! Gotta come up with something before I leave town...............

sorry I guess I must be slow.... I still do not see the problem.
If you are willing to superglue the frags to little rocks then why not net them to little rocks that will at least hold them until you get back from out of town?
Good luck
SiF

leboeuf

slowest- no sweat. My issue is that all the foundation rock (150lbs) is under my established LR (180lbs). Most of my rock is very large pieces as you can see in the pic. Is would be impossible to remove any of my rock without taking down the design. I definitely don't want to do that. The leathers won't stick/glue to the small rocks. They emmit that slime and break free. I will net them before I leave just so they don't end up someones meal or under the sand bed. This is my delemia with shrooms. Can't remove the rocks to glue them and can't get rubberbands around the boulders to net them. Toothpics just don't stay in place. I have three nice shrooms just sitting on the sand bed till I can figure it out.

Ahhh...and the light turns on :)
You DO NOT have to remove the rock to net the frag. The nice thing about the gel superglue it that it forms a skin when it hits the water. If you put a generous amount on what you are glueing then put it into the water the ball of glue will hold its shape and the skin will keep the glue soft until you mash it with either your finger or a dowel rod etc. The only thing you need to remove from the tank it the frag you want to net down and that is more so you get the proper sized piece of netting than anything else.
SiF
PS I have netted over 100 frags this way...it does work it just takes a few times to get the hang of it.

dima96

bridial veil is what i use. i just got an 8 by 72 inch piece for a quarter from the fabric store

Not trying to steal your thread or anything, but does anyone think this method would work for tunicates....they were grown on some sort of spongy base and eveyone in the tank likes to pull them out of the holes i put them in...any suggestions?