Frag tank

firefish9

Could I have some help setting up a frag tank. This is what I have so far.
10 gallon tank
10-20lbs of live rock
live sand
Skilter filter
lighting is T5s and 12'' Power compacts with moonlight.
I need some suggestions from here on(what types of corals/parameters etc..)
Do I need a filter if I have this much live rock.

rbaldino

I don't know if you want live rock in a frag tank. Basically, you just want a bare tank with lots of flow and light. As for corals, that all depends on what you want to grow.

bears

I don't know if you want live rock in a frag tank. Basically, you just want a bare tank with lots of flow and light. As for corals, that all depends on what you want to grow.
Actually you will probably want some LR, some on the bottom to catch frags(a piece might fall off of something and is really really small the LR might catch it and lit it grow) and if you don't put like egg holders or w/e you can stack some LR near the top and maybe have some sps if you lights and parameters and good enough.

firefish9

Originally Posted by bears
Actually you will probably want some LR, some on the bottom to catch frags(a piece might fall off of something and is really really small the LR might catch it and lit it grow) and if you don't put like egg holders or w/e you can stack some LR near the top and maybe have some sps if you lights and parameters and good enough.

Thats what I was thinking of and they would help keep nitrates low.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by bears
Actually you will probably want some LR, some on the bottom to catch frags(a piece might fall off of something and is really really small the LR might catch it and lit it grow).
What? If anything, you don't want your frags attaching themselves to live rock because they'll be harder to move once they've grown.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by firefish9
Thats what I was thinking of and they would help keep nitrates low.
Set up biological filtration in a filter. And water changes keep nitrates low.

firefish9

sorry I couldn't find the watts for the T5s only that their 10000 kelvins
The PCs are about 2 watts per gallon.

bears

ok well t5's usually, actually always have alot of watts and have a pretty intense lighting or w/e so if you wanted and you put them up high enough in the tank and have a strong flow you could probably keep some sps's also but you might want someone else's opinion's on that sense there are alot more people on here with more, alot more experience then me with corals especially sps.
But right now your setup sounds good, you will also want to pick up a cal. test kit because that is one of the most important factors for corals.
also if you want to keep corals other then soft corals you will want to get a power head or two.

firefish9

The tank has a big algae problem right now it cyano and bubble algae how should I get rid of this
Thanks Bear for The tips

bears

Ok well I don't know very much about bubble algae but I know for bubble just don't break any or they will spread. You could either get an emerald crab which eats bubble algae or you and/or can pull them off with tweezers or something just try not to pop them or they will leave spores which will turn into more, when(if you do) pull them off it is on LR then you should probably try taking the LR out of the tank just to be sure it doesn't get in the water.
or you can get like a turkey baster and squirt very hot water on them.(I am almost 100% sure this works)
Also how long has your tank been setup?

bears

also for the cyano algae is cause by lots of light and not enough flow, so for this I would say if you have nothing that needs light in tank to keep lights off for a while or just keep them on less, try to get more flow going probably useing a powerhead which you will probably need for the corals and just do water changes until it is gone. Don't worry usually the cyano goes away relatively fast.
I am talking about like the stuff on the sand that is red, i think sometimes black hope that is cyano

edit- also make sure your nitrates and phosphates are at zero, and to get it off any LR if it is on it, and you can also siphon what is in there up.

firefish9

I have had my tank up and running for about 3 and a half months.
I have everything set up except the powerheads.

bears

ok well just do what I said for the algae and also about your question with the filter yes you will still need one but you don't need a skimmer yay!