Fraggin this Leather Coral

snaredrum

What would be the best way to frag this leather? He has a perfect split. Would this be the place? Please help.

By the way, he is much bigger now.

reefkprz

that is definatly my firsdt pick of places to frag juts cut the rest of the base down to the rock and break the rock. if the break isnt perfect no worries just gently peel the base off whateve chunk of rock has the least attached to it. I have taken a small piece of rubble that was attached to a 12" tall leather and pulled it peeling a strip all the way up the side and getting only one finger. both survived though it is one of tyhe weirdest looking frags ever from it all curling up trying to reconect its base tissue.

snaredrum

This one sounds easy. He is not attached to a rock but is just sitting in the sand. What would you call this? Pineapple Leather?

reefkprz

without doing any research I would call it a sinularia or some sort. since it not attached to anything but sand I would just cut it with a brand new clean razor at its thinnest point.

dmitry

My first thought was also a Colt. If you have to cut it just take a sharp razor and slice with as few slices as possible. Take the other piece and try to get it to attach to a rock, which can be tough because these corals tend to be very slimy. I once tried putting a rubber-band around the foot and the rock - the result being that the coral just allowed the foot to sever in the spot where the rubber band was and the coral floated away. Try a tooth-pick or something. Glue isn't likely to work - the slime will repel the glue.

reefkprz

if you want to glue it to a rock it wont be a problem at all, you said its attached to sand right? just dry the sand and glue the sand to a rock. the coral being attached to the sand will stay, same tecnique is used for mushrooms wich are WAYYYY to slimy to glue, I also use that trick on some of the harder to glue protopalythoas, regular pays and zoas dont need sand but protopalys are far tougher to glue.