Fragging and Dead Snails

jamiev3

I have two questions at the moment.
1) I have a large colt coral that is beginning to take over the tank. At the base it seems to divid into three stems. I would like to seperate one from the other two. Either to reattach it else where or trade into my local fish store for credit ect. I would like to know the success rate for fragging Colts. Any tips or tricks that I should be aware of. And how hard is the recovery process for the main part that I will be tring to save.
1b) How easily can I frag my two large (half dollar size) mushrooms? Do I just need to rip/cut them into peices and replace them onto the rock, as I have read?
2) I bought 5 new turbo snails to replace my first batch that has died off after about 5 months. Two of the new batch has died in the first two days. Do i have something wronge with my water chem. or did I get a bad batch? How normal is it to go through turbos in your tank?
29 Gallon, 55w Actinic 55w 7100K Daylight 20w 10,000K Daylight
15 lbs. Aragonite, 20 lbs. Mau Hawiian Live Rock, 10 lbs. Fiji
Colt, Green Open Brain, Flower Pot, Purple Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, Dwarf Flame Angel, Clown
Blue & Red Leg Hermits, Turbo Snails
sal 1.021, pH 8.0, temp 78f, Nitrate 0.0, Nitrite0.0, Ammonia 0.0
Thank you all in advance for the help
James

otto13

I havent done alot of corals but I have done tons of mushrooms. I just cut the top/head off the mushroom with sissors. Then I chose the rock that I will use as a base. I take the rock out and dry off the area I am going to attach the mushroom. Then apply a small dab of marine sealant or super glue. Attach the mushroom, wait a minute or two and then put the sucker back in. So far I havent lost one mushroom and the base just grows right back. I couldnt believe it the first time I did it. It just seems stupid to put superglue in your tank, but people swear by it.

finland

I have had success fragging colts. What I did is cut the stem, with a razor, diagonally down where they branch. Then I stick a toothpick perpendicular to the stem right at the bottom of the frag. Stick it all the way thru. Then I rubber band the toothpick to a piece of live rock so that the cut part is against the LR and the colt is standing upright. . After a couple weeks remove the rubber band and slide the toothpick out. It will grow into the LR. The original and the frag healed up just fine. They are really slimy so keep that in mind.