Fragging Colt Coral?

extinct 1ne

I was just thinking about fragging my Colt Coral. I have some questions.
-What do I need in order to frag it?
-Is there a chance I can kill the mother colony?
-What size does the mother colony have to be?
-Can I use regular Krazy Glue or do I need a specific kind?
-Is there anything else I need to know?
Thank you.

reefforbrains

If the mother colony is healthy just snip off a piece with scissors and use a needle and thread to tie it to a rock.
Fishing line tied loosle through it to hold it to the rock will do. Crazy glue has had good results for some folks but the slime that softies produce can make them hard to stick. Colts grow very quick.
No, you will not hurt the mother just taking a snip off of it.
Size is not as important as conditions. Your tank should be up to snuff with stable water conditions. This will maximize chances for survival through the stress you will put on the subjects. The mother should be healthy and in good shape.
Post some pics of the proccess. It is always helpful and people come along almost daily same as you. Wanting to do it but perhaps scared they will hurt it.

extinct 1ne

ReefForBrains - Thanks man your a big help. When you say snip a part off of it. Where do you mean? From the base or where it is branching off near the top? Here's a pic of my Colt, he's pretty big.
Pic coming in a sec.

jackri

Just cut a branch off... get super glue with cynoacrylic (or something spelled like that in the ingredients).
Very durable coral and easy to frag... you won't have to worry about killing it as long as you don't go crazy.

reefforbrains

No pic.
It is not really all that important on where but try and put it in a place that is at a branch, not through the frilly portion. Use one smooth snip, if it makes any sense try and sneak up on it. You want it bloomed and happy when you do the snip. Not manditory but it will minimize any possible damage and give a cleaner area to regrow from and heal.
I WOULD recommend you wear gloves and goggles but I know you wont. No one does.
More fun to recommend you wear a parachute, and also an athetic supporter. Safety first!

extinct 1ne

Here's what it says on the back.
WARNING: EYE AND SKIN IRRITANT. BONDS SKIN INSTANTLY.
Contains ethyl cyanoacrylate. Avoid contact with skin or eyes. If eye or mouth contact occurs, hold eyelid or mouth open and rinse thoroughly but gently with water only for 15 minutes and GET MEDICAL ATTENTION. If skin bonding occurs, soak in acetone-based nail polish remover or warm soapy water and carefully peel or roll skin apart (do not pull). Contact through clothing may cause skin burn. If spilled on clothing, flush with cold water. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. For emergency medical information...blah blah toll free...
Well that was a headache.
There's a pic?

reefforbrains

Yep pic shows now.
Dont forget the welding apron and hardhat too. That stuff sounds serious *gasp!*
Yes, thats the stuff to use. Should work great, Keep the fishing line as back up plan

extinct 1ne

My dad doesn't want me to do it. He says it will die. Well, he did pay for it. Maybe I should do it to a Coral I buy. Ohh, I will have those on!!!!!!!

cafero702

Not to steal your thread or anything but i was also wondering about fragging my colt but mine looks diffrent
Is this able to frag or is it to small ??

reefforbrains

Where yours is located I would bet it will just strart fragging itself when ready.
Yours is a Kenya tree, or Capnella notorious for doing it by itself. Especially with the location you have it in.
It will grow and then out of nowhere a tip of it will look like it is twisting itself off. The tip will then just drop off and grow where it lands. If you really want to just cut to the chase. (no pun intended) Just grab some scissors and follow the above guildines. Extremly easy coral to frag or propagate.

cafero702

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/3087654
Where yours is located I would bet it will just strart fragging itself when ready.
Yours is a Kenya tree, or Capnella
notorious for doing it by itself. Especially with the location you have it in.
It will grow and then out of nowhere a tip of it will look like it is twisting itself off. The tip will then just drop off and grow where it lands. If you really want to just cut to the chase. (no pun intended) Just grab some scissors and follow the above guildines. Extremly easy coral to frag or propagate.
O so mines not a colt?? or just a diffrent type of colt?
And yes theres a branch on the back art that is sort of drooping down u can sort of see it in the pic but my camera sux lol.
If it does just twsit itself off and fall should i grab it and stick it on a whole or tie it to a rock so it doesnt get pushed around in my tank from the flow???

cafero702

And the stalk of this coral it used to be i would say normal size and its gonna bigger the stalk of it as almost doubled like it almost looks like it could (or i could) slice it down the middle and it would split

reefforbrains

Yes, Colt is a generic term for a group of corals.
Yours is a Capnella, aka kenya tree by most.
"Kenya Colt" "Colt Capnella" whatever you want to call it works.
Your coral, the one in the pic will frag itself. It will frag so much you will have kenya everywhere if you let it. Very quick to grow and quick to frag if you let it...... If you dont want to wait, then just snip it. Its that easy. Extremly durable corals.

cafero702

http:///forum/post/3087670
Yes, Colt is a generic term for a group of corals.
Yours is a Capnella, aka kenya tree by most.
"Kenya Colt" "Colt Capnella" whatever you want to call it works.
Your coral, the one in the pic will frag itself. It will frag so much you will have kenya everywhere if you let it. Very quick to grow and quick to frag if you let it...... If you dont want to wait, then just snip it. Its that easy. Extremly durable corals.
o ok sweet id love to have it everywhere lol
But when it (frags itself) swists off and and everything should i grab it and attach it to a rock or does it attach right away to things it wont get blown away in my flow in my tank?

reefforbrains

Best laid plans of mice and men....
Without fail it will blow into some rockwork or where you can't reach it.
Trust me there will be plenty of Kenya to go around in a few months. Be patient

cafero702

http:///forum/post/3087685
Best laid plans of mice and men....
Without fail it will blow into some rockwork or where you can't reach it.
Trust me there will be plenty of Kenya to go around in a few months. Be patient
ok thanks