Fragging Hamer coral?

daftboy

I was just wondering the best way of doing this... I have gotten a piece of aussie hammer and half of it was DOA...Another member told me to cut the skeleton...Im just not sure/how to go about this... it will be my first time.. I will try to get a picture of how it is growing..it seems to be doing fine as of right now..it's been about a week.

meowzer

I had one once that one head got BJD, but it was the stalk type and I just broke the piece off......maybe you can snap it in half...OR if you have a sharp knife saw it

jackri

I use side cutters (or dykes) and just cut through the skeleton as it cuts quite easily.

jackri

When I do my frogspawn I pull it out quick and frag it -- never had any harm come to it. Yeah it's scary the first time though :)

reefkprz

I would give it 6 months to recover before attempting to frag it. since it is a new addition and was obviously unhealthy when you recieved it, any new stess could push it over the edge. once you can determine what section is going to stay alive and and grow and whats definately dead. then you can consider cutting it. for now i would let it recover.

fretfreak13

There's that, but what about what meowzer said? Is there any sign of Brown Jelly Disease? I just lost my favorite torch coral to that, one head died and then it spread to the next one. I was told after it died I could have saved it if I fragged it, but I didn't know at the time. Smell it, mine was RANCID from the BJD.

daftboy

I dont see any BJD or anything else... the rest of the coral seems fine the part that is missing is well that ... the rest seems to be healthy.. im just wondering if I have it in to much flow or lighting... its basicly 3/4 down on a rock in the middle of the tank.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3202397
There's that, but what about what meowzer said? Is there any sign of Brown Jelly Disease? I just lost my favorite torch coral to that, one head died and then it spread to the next one. I was told after it died I could have saved it if I fragged it, but I didn't know at the time. Smell it, mine was RANCID from the BJD.
I would agree in the case of BJD, with a branching coral. this is a wall base coral and without signs of that disease, the only thing you would get out of fraggin it is stress. since with wall style corals you have no choice but to frag through the area where flesh may be. possibly inviting a secondary infection into an already stressed out coral.

spanko

And that part where the skeleton is showing may come back. I have found that if there is any flesh left they can repair themselves. Just let it be for a while and see what develops.