Fragging Zoa's

asharp13

i will be attempting to frag one of my zoa colonies very shortly and i have a couple questions:
1. after cutting the webbing, do i just scrape the mat off the rock like old paint off of a wall?
2. when i have the frag piece separated, do i dry off the bottom of the web and the the frag site and just glue it?
3. can i use superglue brand gel? or is there a specific type i need that is reef safe?

bill109

Originally Posted by asharp13
http:///forum/post/3157288
i will be attempting to frag one of my zoa colonies very shortly and i have a couple questions:
1. after cutting the webbing, do i just scrape the mat off the rock like old paint off of a wall?
2. when i have the frag piece separated, do i dry off the bottom of the web and the the frag site and just glue it?
3. can i use superglue brand gel? or is there a specific type i need that is reef safe?
make sure the glue has cyanocrylate in it. idk what it is about it but it makes it reef safe, make sure it is a GEL. not a reg super glue. the regular is to runny.
when i frag zoas, i just break them off on the rock and break apart the rock. scraping the mat wont be easy..
i use a fresh/ clean screwdriver, and a hammer. seems to work for me. i dont know what other people use but i use a screwdriver.. lol

johnr2604

You can take a small chisel and cut just under the mat. Try to get a thin layer of rock layer of rock with it. This will make it easier to glue. Just get gel superglue and glue it. Yes, you should dry off the mat before gluing.

spanko

Out of the water as they will release toxins that may be harmful to other coral in the tank. Do the fragging and then a good rinse before putting back in the tank.
Gloves, Glasses, and a paper mask are recommended.

handbanana

not to hijack or sound compleatly ignorent but whats a mat in refrence to Zoas? like a foot?
Just reading up on fragging is all.

speg

I posted you an answer to that in the newbie forum.
It's interesting that you found an older post about this though...interesting that we haven't heard from this person again after fragging zoas.. I sure hope they took the advice of spanko and wore glasses/mask/gloves!