Free colonoscopy!!

renogaw

Well, we're getting our insurance hike starting January. But, i get free colonoscopies...10 years before i'm going to need them...wouldn't it be cheaper for me to not get colonoscopy insurance for the next 10 years?

meowzer

So are you saying you can opt out for the free colonoscopies....and the insurance would be cheaper?
What if you needed one sooner? Can you add it mid-year? or only at enrollment time????
Not everyone gets to wait till they are 50.....hate to say it, but my 1st was at 41, and I am now due for another :( if it was free I may have scheduled it already....LOL.....(OR NOT)

renogaw

No, i cannot opt out of it. colonosocpies are already covered under our insurance, with the 80/20 rule after deductibles are met. now, i get an over 5 percent hike to cover these (and, quite honestly other more useful but similarily covered procedures) to give me something that i could have just paid the 20% (minus the deductions they always give) if i ever needed one. and mind you, this is only for the preventative cancer screening ones, not ones for colitis and such.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogaw http:///forum/thread/381291/free-colonoscopy#post_3320487
No, i cannot opt out of it. colonosocpies are already covered under our insurance, with the 80/20 rule after deductibles are met. now, i get an over 5 percent hike to cover these (and, quite honestly other more useful but similarily covered procedures) to give me something that i could have just paid the 20% (minus the deductions they always give) if i ever needed one. and mind you, this is only for the preventative cancer screening ones, not ones for colitis and such.
schedule one every month....atleast make it worth your while.
darth (bring a hamster) Tang

flower

Well I am a firm believer in if it isn't broke why fix it...I am not going for such a test unless there is good cause and then it's iffy. I wouldn't care if is free, some things are just not worth it at any price.
If you had a problem they have to keep an eye on fine..but just to go for yearly check up...to see if they can find something..I don't think so. Not me anyway.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/381291/free-colonoscopy#post_3320769

Well I am a firm believer in if it isn't broke why fix it...I am not going for such a test unless there is good cause and then it's iffy. I wouldn't care if is free, some things are just not worth it at any price.
If you had a problem they have to keep an eye on fine..but just to go for yearly check up...to see if they can find something..I don't think so. Not me anyway.
Don't you go for check up's Flower????? The woman's dreaded yearly's......surely you do....isn't that the same thing, just checking another area...
and don't forget the all soo pleasant mammos

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381291/free-colonoscopy#post_3320777
...ya know.....sometimes by the time you notice something it's too late......
I'm glad my wife went this last time when she did. Found cancer cells that werent there on her last one. She had to have a proceedure but may have dodged a bullet...we're still waiting for confirmation on that.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381291/free-colonoscopy#post_3320777
...ya know.....sometimes by the time you notice something it's too late......

When the doctor gets done with you (butchering, chemo whatever) you’re better off dead. When I went into menopause I went, a whole gambit of tests to be sure that is what it was..The first thing out of the doctors mouth BEFORE examining me was how easy it is to do a hysterectomy nowadays...You know just in case I want to go that route?????
I'll take my chances. I have a bad heart so most likely that's how I will go. Let my last day be out and about in the world, not in a hospital being poked and probed..let me go in peace.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/381291/free-colonoscopy#post_3320785
I'm glad my wife went this last time when she did. Found cancer cells that werent there on her last one. She had to have a proceedure but may have dodged a bullet...we're still waiting for confirmation on that.
Hope it comes out ok......I lost a good friend cause he worked and worked and never took the time to go to a dr.....he died from prostate cancer....we all know that if you go for regular check ups, and if most things are detected early enough, a lot of them are 100% treatable....and curable

gill again68

Dont let your dentist do your colonoscopy!
Hope all goes well with your wife 2Quills. Friend of mines mother n law just found a large mass with a colonoscopy. Turned out to be cancer.
Still fun to POKE fun at this stuff but forgive me for my ASS ine behavior.

2quills

Thanks guys...we're pretty hopeful. It's a pretty common type that a lot of women get and the vast majority of the time it's treatable with the simple procedure when it's caught early (fingers crossed).