Free Floating Algae & UV Sterilization

jschultz

So I've got me a problem with free floating algae. The nice green kind that makes it so I cant see the back of my tank... The organisms that I have in there seem to be living fine and dandy, but I'm just trying to find a way to get rid of this crap. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of it. I've left my lights off trying to starve it, I've replaced some of my filter media in my canister filter with stuff that is supposed to lower phosphates because I've heard that that is a big thing as well. I've tried water changes, and things like that.
Now the latest thing I've heard is that UV Sterilization can get rid of it as well. I found a UV Powerhead that is in tank that says that it would get rid of it, but I'm skeptical. I don't want to spend the money on it if it's just going to be a waste of money.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks in advance!

nycbob

uv will get rid of ur green water. just adjust the flow to the lowest on the uv, bc that will exposed the algee cells longer to the uv light. u should check on ur light bulb, since old bulb can cause algae bloom also.

jschultz

Sounds great, thanks! Yeah, I just bought it... I guess we'll see how things go from here on out.