free tds meter

nietzsche

did anyone get in on that sweet deal? im not sure if im allowed to post the link, but a website was having a sale on a handheld tds meter, and if you used google checkout for new google users, it would end up coming out to 0 dollars total. some taxes might be applied in a couple of states like TN i think
i got 2 tds meters for free :]]

renogaw

yea, i got one as well. i didn't post the link, just the model number to google and my post got erased.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by renogaw
yea, i got one as well. i didn't post the link, just the model number to google and my post got erased.
on this website?? its like you cant post anything anymore. i saw a thread the other day where someone quoted a website and showed the link for her source but she got a warning for it because shes violating copyrights
its starting to get annoying

jonthefishguy

Yes it is getting annoying. I once posted a link that gave bulb comparison of metal halides SIDE BY SIDE, since it never fails that at least once a week this forum gets asked about light comparison, and they took it down because it had a small link within the site to somewhere else. I did get a PM saying that even though it was very useful, dont post things like this that could possibly be a competitor. I guess if some answers are outside of this web forum, then it apparently isnt worth hearing. (if it is on a competitors site or anything that the mods feel are competitive. I understand and am okay with the fact that someone can read the PM's. But to also have say so on what we talk about as well within PM. I just say, send email address to each other instead of PM. Problem solved. IMO

renogaw

ehh, their website, and the way they want to "control" it. personally, i feel it is sometimes a dis-service to the hobby not being able to give all the info, but it also is their store's website so...

jonthefishguy

well, we cant seem to mention any other site in here. But talking about ***** seems to happen quite often. There is even a post on it and no one seems to say anything about that site. And its a competitor.

1journeyman

..., but it also is their store's website so...
That sums it up folks.
SWF is a for-profit store
. not a Non-profit charity.
They provide these forums as a tool to promote the hobby.
I'm sure all of you have jobs. I'm also sure none of you have jobs where a competitor can come into your jobplace, office, etc. and start advertising.
There are a lot of competitor sites out there, yet few provide forums such as these. So, in reality, who is really doing a dis-service to our hobby? This store for wanting to protect it's business interests, or competitors who don't care about providing a forum?
Copyright issues are not based on the rules of SWF. They are the law. We cannot allow people to post copyrighted material. Surely that is not an issue open for debate. Just because something is posted on the web doesn't mean copy/paste is acceptable. Have we grown so lazy as a society that we can't read, comprehend and then type up our own summation? How difficult is it to sum up an article in your own words and put a "thanks to author" citation at the end? countless times I've offered advice on threads and simply stated "according to ____" (Fenner, Calfo, etc.).
Sorry all, but this is a forum to promote the saltwater aquarium hobby to increase business for SWF. I don't believe the rules are going to change.

nietzsche

yeah it gets really discouraging. to me its like it keeps people trapped in a bottle. im part of 3 other forums and dont really post on this one anymore. i like having other forums that can share info and having people who actually know exactly what theyre talking about. i cant recall the countless times -- has helped me out with silly chemistry questions or other forums when ive had questions about the care of bivalves
anyhow, sweet deal on that tds meter

1journeyman

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
well, we cant seem to mention any other site in here. But talking about ***** seems to happen quite often. There is even a post on it and no one seems to say anything about that site. And its a competitor.
***** is hardly a competitor... and the thread in question is more about ethically treating livestock.

nietzsche

because sometimes you cant summarize something when its been well said. i know if i was talking to someone about a chemistry question i wouldnt want to explain it myself and

[hr]
something big up for someone

1journeyman

Originally Posted by nietzsche
because sometimes you cant summarize something when its been well said. i know if i was talking to someone about a chemistry question i wouldnt want to explain it myself and

[hr]
something big up for someone
Huh? of course you can sum up an article. Heck ,I could sum up this thread if I wanted too.
Regardless, cutting and repasting an article is often in violation of copyright laws. It doesn't really matter what any of us think about it.

nietzsche

btw, if a company is good quality company with good support and knowledgeable workers, then i dont see why someone should be concerned. their reputation alone will be good enough to have customers and returning customers. i know i have a friend who will purchase here only because of the "free shipping," something many other websites dont have.

larrynews

putting the link so people can go to an article is not a copy right violation, copying the article and pasting it is, but the bottom line is other tv stations could come to the station i worked , or on our web site and advertise or post things about there station. i think the rules here are very fair and i think if it were my site i would have the same rules.

renogaw

I just think it's VERY naive (yea, i cannot do the little punctuation) of the owners to think that people can't search and compare what they see on other websites to here. This site should actually WELCOME people looking at their competitors because SWF is just that better than them.
seriously though, why delete my thread when i said to google a part number? people tell other people to google a lot of stuff (no direct links rule) and they aren't deleted... i just had to chuckle at that. swf doesnt even sell tds meters.

nietzsche

i'm done talking about that. nothing will change anyways. anywho, for those of you who need a free tds meter check into it. its free unless you live in the same state theyre from, then you get charged like .78 cents i believe. make sure you're a google user who hasnt used google checkout before and choose free shipping

nietzsche

I just think it's VERY naive (yea, i cannot do the little punctuation) of the owners to think that people can't search and compare what they see on other websites to here. This site should actually WELCOME people looking at their competitors because SWF is just that better than them.
seriously though, why delete my thread when i said to google a part number? people tell other people to google a lot of stuff (no direct links rule) and they aren't deleted... i just had to chuckle at that. swf doesnt even sell tds meters.
google.com is a competitor, dont say google!