French Angels Prone to Bacterial Infection?

richl

I purchased a juvenile French Angelfish one month ago from the LFS. The LFS guy stated that French Angels are prone to bacterial infections and that I should consider buying a UV sterilizer. I have not had any disease problems in my tank for many years and declined the suggestion. The fish has just completed 21 days of hypo in the quarantine tank and should be ready for the main tank in about a week or so. He seems healthy and eats everything at every feeding (2x per day). However, I have seen on a couple of occasions that he apparently regurgitates some of the dried seaweed that I feed at night. I only feed frozen Mysis or Mega Marine Angel in the morning. I have never actually seen him spit up the seaweed, but I have seen it at the bottom of the tank a few times. Might this have been due to over feeding or might some type of infection be involved? is this something to be concerned with and is there some type of medicine I should administer while he's still in the QT?
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The local store was attempting to get you buy an expensive item. This fish is not prone to bacterial infections unless it is exposed to a bad environment or rough handling during transitions. In any case, UV is not going to accomplish much in eliminating bacteria harmful to fish.

Its not unusual for fish to spit out food they are eating. This could simply mean he bites off more then he can get down. You may want to try switching to another type of algae sheet to find one that your fish likes.

Did you use a refractometer during the hypo process?

richl

yes, I use a refractometer as the hydrometer can show a very different reading. I got down to1.009 three weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it never got up higher than 1.010. When I first got into the hobby, I had lots of trouble with ick, so I always use hypo. I'll bring it up a couple tenths per day until it matches the main tank at 1.023. The undigested seaweed seems to only be from Red algae sheets which I cut up into very small pieces. He certainly retains most of it, but I'll cut back on it. I also give him spirulina flakes and marine flakes, so maybe I'll use them more.
Thanks