Fresh Garlic vs Garlic Extreme

mavis1032

Does anybody have a preference between fresh minced garlic or garlic extreme? If so please let me know why and what the different benifits of each are.

thejeweler

wow thats a great question, I love the product "garlic extreme", I use it all the thime I have a powder blue abd a hippo tang. (both ick magnets) My fish dont get it. I make my own food now i use a blender and make a runney soup and freeze it in a zip lock bag and re cut it from there and yes i use real garlic in there food now. By the way im no expert, just a hobbiest like u that has tried several different ways. I hoped i helped

myreef05

Garlic once made liquid will not stay potent long. garlic Extreme is good only for helping the fish start to eat. Fresh garlic is the ONLY source of garlic that is immune system boosting.

thejeweler

like i said im no expert but it works for me. I have a 265 reef for 4 years now, i have several tangs i have a 7 ocellaris (second generation) Also a pair that has been breeding for 2 years (every 2 weeks) So I like to use real garlic in there home made food it works for me.

thejeweler

Going back and thinking about it, my tangs did have some ick on them one time, I was told garlic extreme would make the ich go away it did and i have been sold on the product untill i started using real garlic in there homemade food.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by thejeweler
Going back and thinking about it, my tangs did have some ick on them one time, I was told garlic extreme would make the ich go away it did and i have been sold on the product untill i started using real garlic in there homemade food.
yep same here ,ive herd people say i was crazy put it kicked my ich problem 1.5 years ago and never came back

thejeweler

there is some people on this site that doent like the product, I think they have never used it before, I should be a sales man for the stuff.

dina12

I use fresh garlic when I make thier food - and also use Garlic Extreme a couple times a week. I also swear by Marine C - I don't see that one talked about much. Good thing the fish can't breathe on us.......

thejeweler

I buy fresh shrimp, clams, or anything saltwterfish peal every thing iput a few peices fresh garlic, throw in some a teaspoon of spirulina ( that i buy at vitamin world) 1/2 cup ro water. Blend it in a blender until its runny, Then i upoor it in a zipp lock bag. Lay flat and freeze it, once its fronzen i break it up in to smaller pieces. I still use brine and mysis shrimp everyonce in a while as well.

camanuch

i hsve been reading on the threads about the garlic blend but i have no idea how to actually mix it. i am trying to feed my hippo tang. i got yesterday from SWF.com. it is very thin. its not picking at the seaweed strips and i dont know what to do? is it because he is still very new to the tank or should i be feeding him something special? please help.

With a delicate fish like that you should purchase from a LFS and watch it eat before buying. Try a mix of foods, good luck.

mamasky712

I use Garlic Guard a few times a week. My tang picks a little bit when I feed but if I add the garlic, it goes nuts for the food.

crt81

Originally Posted by dina12
I use fresh garlic when I make thier food - and also use Garlic Extreme a couple times a week. I also swear by Marine C - I don't see that one talked about much. Good thing the fish can't breathe on us.......
How do you make your food? Steps/ ingredents please!!

crt81

Anyone else have recipes? I want to be ablr to house a tang in my tank and I would love to recieve anymore home-made recipes- even if it doesn't contain garlic!!

promisetbg

Tangs should be fed algae based food, they are herbivores.
To make homemade food:
From the grocer~ whatever is fresh, blood free, oil free...such as
clams,scallop, squid, shrimp, some nice white fish.
From the LFS~ cyclop-eeze
sweetwater zooplankton
spirulina
Any Ocean Nutrition formula
Piscine mysis shrimp
garlic xtreme {or fresh garlic}
Zoe
selcon
Liquid life zoo & bio-plankton
Golden pearls~ all different sizes if available in your area
Process in food processor or blender, put into freezer ziplocs, push down & lay flat in freezer. The more ingredients the better.

gnorman

how do u guys go about putting fresh garlic in the food every day you feed them?
any advice on how you do it would help out a lot. thanks so much
eric-