Fresh-water dipping

tangirl

I have not set up my tank yet, but I am curious about how effective this method of parasite removal is. I have read some claiming 5 min. dip is sufficient, others say 10-25 minutes. Any thoughts????
I know I should probably just set-up a hosp. tank but I don't know what to do for sure. I have an extra 15 gal...?... but what happens if I want to put 2 fish in at the same time, should I make a divider?
FYI- it was suggested to me to add Powder Blue and Purple tang at the same time, and add them last.

justinl

More than likely the freshwater dip will stress your fish further and make it even more succeptible to ick and white spot when you do put it into your main tank. Besides your fish might not make it through the freshwater dip if you're not careful.
Take it from me- get a quarantine tank- spend 50 bucks on a 20 gallon heater and filter now. Otherwise you'll be spending a lot more money and time trying to treat all the fish in your tank if the new one you added had something and spread it. I learned the hard way. I now realize that patience is rewarded with healthy fish.

fshhub

about your fish, adding both tangs at the same time is not a bad idea, for tangs are known to get aggressive with anything added after it, but this also holds true for other fish, I would definitely consider getting them both last if at all possible
wee have done dips before, but I don't think that I would go much more than 5 min at a time, they can be efective, but not a guarentee, a q or hospital tank is a better idea, and you can normally add more than 1 fish to ait at a time, if you have room, they should be there for @ 1 month, if they have ick
[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: fshhub ]