fresh water ICH on Salt water fish?

magic

Can saltwater fish get freshwater ICH? I have a few tangs and some butterflies and I am doing hypo on them all. I also have a lion that will only eat live fish. Well the salinity is down to 1.009 and has been for two weeks. When I feed the lion, if he misses the gold fish they last forever in that low salinity. All of my fish had IHC witch is no big deal, I have ran hypo a million times. My wife went to Wal-Mart and got 5 gold fish that were covered in freshwater ICH and feed them to the lion thinking that saltwater fish can't get it. Well none of them did but, I have one butterfly that is covered in what looks like ICH and I don't know what it is. It can't be ICH, I have had hypo going for two weeks and no sign of it on all the others. They are all very happy and healthy. So what is going on? If it is freshwater ICH will it go away when I raise the salinity?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, FW ich can not be passed to SW fish....also, don't feed lionfish feeder goldfish. There is no nutritional value in that for them. In other words, if you don't ween him off of goldfish, you will likely not have him long.
Try to ween him to live ghost shrimp, then to dead silversides and other SW morsels.

carshark

that looks like ich to me, i could be wrong, but im pretty sure about that one. at first i was thinking maybe HLLE, but then i saw the bumps on the side of the guy

magic

I know it looks like ICH, but they have been in hypo for 24 days now. It does not go away and come back, it looks the same day to day. Are there other things that look like ICH?

magic

Is there anything scientific to back up the claim that saltwater fish can not get freshwater ICH? My fish is now dieing, but slowly. As I am raising the salinity the white bumps are going away.