Freshwater baths?

terasparrow

I wanted to give my fp clown a freashwater bath to try and ease his breathing, and help with his unidentified problem...I read an article saying that that helped someone elses clown, I was wondering how long I dip him for? how warm or cold should the water be? and do i have to reacclimate him? should I put the chlorine etc remover in the dip water before I put him in?
thank's Tera

nacl freak

fresh dip ideally shoud be with ro water that has same temp and ph as your tank. If you have to use tap, declor for sure!Time varies depends on your fish tolerance. 5 min to 20 min .Do you always use tap?

tarball

A fresh water dip will not reduce stress for the fish, unless it has ich. If anything the dip will add stress too the fish. If the fish appears physically stressed its because of water conditions in DT. Or another fish harassing it.
If you are going to do a fresh water dip, water temp should be the same as DT temp. Also limit dip to 5 minutes max. Use RO water also.

al mc

I agree with Tarball. Do you know why he is stressed. What are the water parametrs in the Display Tank? (pH, temp, specific gravity, ammonia, nitrites/nitrates) Is there another fish harrassing him? Without knowing some of this information we may be suggesting a treatment that is more harmful than good.
If you must do a freshwater dip. Limit to 5 minutes with RO or Distilled water
of the same temp and pH as your tank water that is well aerated/
Welcome to the forum
You will find answers to many questions here. Consider reading some of the archived threads for general knowledge.