Freshwater Dips with Methylene Blue

jr1053

I’ve been able to use Bob Fenner’s method of freshwater dips with the addition of Methylene Blue very successfully in my first marine fish only tank of 110 gallons. The only problem I’ve had is monitoring the progress or lack thereof of the fish I place in the dip. The solution is typically a dark navy blue color and unless the fish starts trashing about near the surface of my gallon bucket I have no idea on how it is tolerating the procedure. Any suggestions on how a fish can be better monitored during the emersion process in this opaque dip so that signs of distress can be rapidly identified? I had tried just leaving the fish in a large net while in the dip bucket but even then I often have to lift it out of the dip solution to check on it’s status and I feel that this just adds to the trauma of the process for the animal. I know this most sound like a silly question but any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you.
John

carshark

what if instead you used a "critter carrier"? those are plastic and translucent, where you could put like a blacklight or some very very dim light underneath....i use those for drip acclimation and it works wonders, all i did was paint three sides of it and i do it with all the lights off, except for a blacklight underneath so i can see breathing and movement

merredeth

Originally Posted by jr1053
I’ve been able to use Bob Fenner’s method of freshwater dips with the addition of Methylene Blue very successfully in my first marine fish only tank of 110 gallons. The only problem I’ve had is monitoring the progress or lack thereof of the fish I place in the dip. The solution is typically a dark navy blue color and unless the fish starts trashing about near the surface of my gallon bucket I have no idea on how it is tolerating the procedure. Any suggestions on how a fish can be better monitored during the emersion process in this opaque dip so that signs of distress can be rapidly identified? I had tried just leaving the fish in a large net while in the dip bucket but even then I often have to lift it out of the dip solution to check on it’s status and I feel that this just adds to the trauma of the process for the animal. I know this most sound like a silly question but any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you.
John

John:
I use a large clear glass round bowl type of aquarium to do my dips of fish. This way, I can monitor the fish a whole lot easier. This type of bowl was less than $7.00.
Granted, I'm not long fish or extremely tall fish, but it was a big enough bowl for me to get a 5 inch heniochus in it with no problem.
Denise M.

S

sinner's girl

Doesn't sound like a silly question, but it does sound like a mean thing to do to the fish.
What are you treating the fish for?

mikeyjer

This is a way that my friend suggested to me. I've done this numerous times myself and it works just fine. I use a large plastic bag, usually the bags that I brought the fish home with. I put the freshwater within and let it sit in the tank to acclimate the temp. In 3 hrs later, I put methylene blue in it and shake it up, then dip the fish to put in. I hold it up and let the fish sit in for no more then 5 min then dip him back out and set him free back into my tank. The downfall to this is if you have a spiny fish, it usually poke a hole in your bag, like my yellow tang did. A clear fish bowl was mentioned earlier, that would be a great option to try.

promisetbg

Dipping a fish is an unnecessary stress...we quit doing it at my store.We have far less losses now.If a fish is suspected of being sick,or is obviously so...a QT tank should be used.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
This is a way that my friend suggested to me. I've done this numerous times myself and it works just fine. I use a large plastic bag, usually the bags that I brought the fish home with. I put the freshwater within and let it sit in the tank to acclimate the temp. In 3 hrs later, I put methylene blue in it and shake it up, then dip the fish to put in. I hold it up and let the fish sit in for no more then 5 min then dip him back out and set him free back into my tank. The downfall to this is if you have a spiny fish, it usually poke a hole in your bag, like my yellow tang did. A clear fish bowl was mentioned earlier, that would be a great option to try.
One could acclimate the water in the bag and then put the water in the clear glass bowl. Leave the fish in for five minutes and then put it back in the tank.
Then you have no holes in the bag and a mess to clean up with.
I like this incorporation of both ideas so much I think I'll plan on using it so the medication is mixed and I'm assured of an idential temperature in both the glass bowl and the tank.
Denise M.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by promisetbg
Dipping a fish is an unnecessary stress...we quit doing it at my store.We have far less losses now.If a fish is suspected of being sick,or is obviously so...a QT tank should be used.
I absolutely agree. If you are that worried about illness or parasite, QT the fish for the recommended 3 weeks and monitor his health in the QT. A dip is quite a bit of stress for the fish to endure. I'm not saying that a fih cannot endure, because there are several people who use it and are successful, but why stress the fish out anymore than needed?

jr1053

First of all thank you all for your comments. Was following the recommendations found in BoB Fenner's great book and on his Web site about dealing with new additions after you receive them by mail or purchase them from a LFS. He actually promotes both Dips AND QT for new fish purchases if I'm reading his book correctly and as far as I can tell not using dips ALONE as a cure all strategy for fish diseases after a fish in your main tank becomes ill. I'll certainly try some of the dip suggestions that some of you folks recommend and thanks again for sharing your ideas.
John