Freshwater fish!

charliecat77

I need some help from you all. I wanna get a 10 gal. tank, but I want to make sure I get the RIGHT type of fish. I'm a new startet in this hobby..so I want to get some small fish and then move on to the older ones. Do you all have any ideas?? Please make some suggestions and I will be posting many times on this to say what i think are good suggestions! Thanks! :)

lesa

Are you looking at freshwater fish? If so guppies or red sword tails are good fish to start with.

charliecat77

jwtrojan, I do agree with you on how this is a saltwater board...but I have seen other posts that have something to do with freshwater fish...thanks for ur advice..but I am gonna stick to swf.
:D
lesa, thanks for ur advice, I do like guppies, so I'm gonna think about that. As for red swordfins (sorry..i forgot the name :p ) those MAYBE a possibility.

T

thomas712

Charlie - Buy a 10 gallon tank, add a couple of Mollies and don't feed them for a week. J/K
Then go and find yourself a freshwater forum source, which would be the logical choice for that type of information. Your reluctance to do so could be taken as an indication that you are not very serious about this hobby.
Good luck
Thomas

lemonshark

Try neon tetras they are more colorful, for a 10 gallon tank I would probably put in about 10 of them.
Two or three will probably die.

charliecat77

Thomas712,
Somebody has already told me to go finda freshwater forum . FYI, many people who come here have experiance with freshwater fish. I just thought that lots of people here would give me advice on freshwater fish. I love swf.com but I think finding a fw hobby boardt is probably a good idea since my reluctance to do so will make a bad influence. :D

mattnc

I was your age when I got into fish. :) I tried swordtails, gourmeys (sp?), and goldfish. Very easy and entertaining. Now I do both, I have several Japanese Koi in a 4,000 gal pond and a 55gal FOWRL.
It's good that your gonna give fresh a try before salt. Saltwater is much much more demanding, both time and money wise.

beaslbob

Originally posted by MattNC
I was your age when I got into fish. :) I tried swordtails, gourmeys (sp?), and goldfish. Very easy and entertaining. Now I do both, I have several Japanese Koi in a 4,000 gal pond and a 55gal FOWRL.
It's good that your gonna give fresh a try before salt. Saltwater is much much more demanding, both time and money wise.

It is my experience that there is a lot less difference between fw and salt than most think.

mattnc

The Basics are not that much different, true...
BUT, I have come to realize that the health keeping of SW fish is much more involved and challenging. Yeah, if you stick with hardy fish and plain LR, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

drakken

I just started my first SW tank and I still have 2 FW tanks. One tank is an African cichlid tank. These are great fish to have and prepare you for SW. African cichlids like high pH hard water similar to SW but without the salt content. They are very hardy and most can tolorate beginners mistakes.
PM me if you want some good forums for cichilds and FW.

dacia

Freshwater fish are very easy to take care of, as long as your water has completely cycled first. I have a couple of FW tanks myself.
If you have not cycled the tank yet, here is what I suggest: set up the tank completely, and add a couple of drops of pure household ammonia. When testing the water, your ammonia should be off the charts, and in a couple of days, your nitrites will spike. Keep adding a couple of ammonia drops each day until you wake up one morning and test the water to find both ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Then do a 50% water change. I have done this with every FW tank and have never lost a fish due to fluxuating levels of ammonia or nitrite. Cycling this way is also faster...when you kill fish, it could take up to 2-3 months to cycle, but my tanks cycled in 2 and a half weeks using this method.
After cycled, just choose whatever fish you like best. For a 10 gallon tank, only buy 10 inches of live fish...unless you have a filter suitable for a much larger tank and you hardly ever feed the little guys. :D
When I started out, I had a 5 gallon tank with only a male betta and some snails. I also had 2 10 gallon tanks with Colombian sharks, angelfish, and plecos. All did very well.
You might also want to look into ornamental fantail goldfish such as orandas, moors, and ryukins. They have better personalities than most tropicals do. IMHO.

charliecat77

Thanks to all of ur replies! The advice you all have given me as helped a lot to my questions :confused: :) .
Dacia,
Thank you so much for the wonderful step-by-step :D