"Freshwater Lionfish" in a 20gal?

kev

I recently went to the LFS and saw a "Freshwater Lionfish." In my tank im going for a natural look of the area that I recently went scuba diving, and this resembles some of the fish that I saw. The little guy at the LFS is about 2.5in and they say it will do fine in a 20. What is ya'lls option on this? Does this fish have any other names that would be more helpful when tryin to find info on the net? Any replys would be GREATLY appreciated!! :D

karlas

was the lionfish fresh or brackish water. quite a few have been acclimated to brackish but never heard of one in full fresh water. as far as a lion in a 20 gall depends on the kind. some types of dwarf lions can go in one but would only go in one. some lions get up to a foot or better in length. its hard to give you a name on it since there are several different kinds. heres an idea of some of them also some photos of different kinds
Radiata Lionfish - 10", 30 gall
Russell's Lionfish - 12" 55 gal
Volitan Lionfish - 15" 55
Antennata Lionfish - 8" 30 gal
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish - 6" 20 gal
Fu Manchu Lionfish - 4" 20 gal
<a href="http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/animal/APAsrch3.cgi?qt=lionfish" target="_blank">lion photos</a>
lions are safe around corals but a lion is a predator and will eat anything that will fit in its mouth crab, shrimp, and any fish

frankl15207

Without seeing a picture, I would agree with Karlas. It is most likely brackish, not freshwater.
I'd need more information on the fish to comment on the tank size.

kev

Sorry, to give you a more detailed description... This guy is in SW, as he is in with some clownfish. He isnt the kind of lionfish that most of you would think, he hangs out on the bottom ALL the time. It stays hidden all day long, and its got "camo" colors of brown. Although the LFS calls it a "Freshwater Lionfish" I'm thinkin its a stonefish of some sort. Any ideas now? BTW, its about 2.5in now and they say it will get up to 7in. I can't seem to find any info about it on the net. Hope that helped! :D

frankl15207

It really didn't help, but I've been in saltwater fish for over 30 years and I wouldn't put anything that was going to reach the vacinity of 7 inches into a 20 gallon tank.

brian'sreef

i saw a fish once called a freshwater lionfish. it was in freshwater though and looked like a fat brown stonefish sitting on the bottom of the tank.. i don't know much about them .. he was pretty ugly and i didn't spend a lot of time inquiring about him.. you say he's in saltwater though so he must not be freshwater huh?
BRIAN