Freshwater question

firefish9

I have set up a 20 gallon freshwater tank and I am not sure what I should stock it with. I really want to keep a cichlid in it but I'm not sure which type.
I was thinking of maybe a school of Firemouth cichlids or maybe some Jewel cichlids. This set up cant be upgraded later.

-Firefish

reefkprz

jewel cichlids get too large
Common name or synonym: Jewel Cichlid
Scientific name: Hemochromis lifalili
Origin: Congo and Ubangi Rivers, Africa
Adult Length: Approx 6 inches
Minimum Tank Size: 29 gallon
Water Requirements: Tolerant of a wide variety of water conditions but show best in soft, neutral to slightly acidic water.
Diet Requirements: Not picky, high quality flake, frozen foods, as well as live foods.
Sexing: Difficult without observing a pairing. Males slightly larger than females.
Breeding: Bi-parental substrate brooder. Females usually deposit their eggs on a flat stone under cover, or in a small cave. The female tends the eggs and fry while the male defends the breeding territory.
General Information: Outside of times of reproductive activity H. lifalili generally won't bother tank mates too large to fit in their mouths. Housed with barbs, larger danios, gouramis and other robust community fish Hemichromis lifalili is a fairly well behaved aquarium resident. Sub-dominant or individuals which are not sexually active are rather drab brown to grey brown fish with a small scattering of blue dots. There is one black blotch located in the middle of the body and another bordered in gold on the opercula. In breeding dress the background color of both sexes is replaced by brilliant orange or fiery red with numerous iridescent blue spots across the body and fins.

reefkprz

same with the fire mouth
Scientific Name: Thorichthys meeki
Family: Cichlidae
Origin: Guatemala;Yucatan
Adult Size: 6 inches (15 cm)
Social: Territorial
Lifespan: 10-15 years
Tank Level: Bottom dweller
Minimum Tank Size: 29 gallon
Diet: Omnivore, eats most foods
Breeding: Egglayer
Care: Easy to Moderate
pH: 7.0
Hardness: up to 10 dGH
Temperature: 70-75 F (21-24 C)

reefkprz

if you are dead set on cichlids try
Scientific Name(s): Apistogramma cacatuoides
Common Name(s): Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid, Crested Dwarf Cichlid
Species Type: South American Cichlids
Maximum Size: 3.5 inches
Life Span: 5 years
Natural Habitat: South American rivers (Amazon River)
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Tank Region: Prefers middle or bottom of tank.
Possible Tank Mates: Other dwarf cichlids such as yellow dwarf cichlid or panda dwarf cichlid.
Description: One of the most colorful and commonly available Apistogramma species. This fish is highly farm/aquarium bred and raised, and thus has several color varieties; "sunset", "red", "double red", "triple red", "sun spot", just to name a few. One of the more forgiving of the Apistogramma species when it comes to water parameters.
Temperature Range 72°F - 80°F
Breeding Information: Quite easy. Condition the pair on live food. Will spawn on bogwood, broad leafed plants, and in upturned flowerpots.
Sexing Information: Males tend to have brighter colors and extended rays on the dorsal fin.
Diet: Feed live foods for best coloration. Flake is also accepted. Prefer to be kept in a tank with dense vegetation and lots of bogwood.
Temperment: Peaceful community fish
Common Diseases: None specific to species

d-90

reefkprZ-
What site did you get that info from? I too Iam interseted in setting up a FW tank.

reefkprz

various sources, Google is great. though you have to pick and choose wich sites you listen to because lots of them post different things, some of the information I modified to my own expiriences as I considered the information innaccurate. dont take my words as gospel on anything its just a good source of basic information, please do your own research on everything. even my opinions and expiriences may be inaccurate as to the general overall species..

L

lsu

I'd go with a pairof German Blue Rams, they're a beautiful cichlid that do not get too big and they are not nearly aggressive as other cichlid so you can keep other fish, I also really enjoyed some of the more exotic plecos(they can be really expensive), most stores don't carry them but I found a couple of stores that would special order them if you put down a deposit

reefkprz

blue rams while beautiful fish are extremly delicate, thats why I reccomended the dwarf cockatoo, hardier. the blue ram is a gorgeous fish though rivaling marine fish in its beauty.

jovial

I always liked a planted tank with Discus and Neons or Cardinal Tetras. Angel fish and Neons are a good combination too.

pbienkiewi

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
if you are dead set on cichlids try
Scientific Name(s): Apistogramma cacatuoides
Common Name(s): Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid, Crested Dwarf Cichlid
Species Type: South American Cichlids
Maximum Size: 3.5 inches
Life Span: 5 years
Natural Habitat: South American rivers (Amazon River)
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Tank Region: Prefers middle or bottom of tank.
Possible Tank Mates: Other dwarf cichlids such as yellow dwarf cichlid or panda dwarf cichlid.
Description: One of the most colorful and commonly available Apistogramma species. This fish is highly farm/aquarium bred and raised, and thus has several color varieties; "sunset", "red", "double red", "triple red", "sun spot", just to name a few. One of the more forgiving of the Apistogramma species when it comes to water parameters.
Temperature Range 72°F - 80°F
Breeding Information: Quite easy. Condition the pair on live food. Will spawn on bogwood, broad leafed plants, and in upturned flowerpots.
Sexing Information: Males tend to have brighter colors and extended rays on the dorsal fin.
Diet: Feed live foods for best coloration. Flake is also accepted. Prefer to be kept in a tank with dense vegetation and lots of bogwood.
Temperment: Peaceful community fish
Common Diseases: None specific to species

I highly recomend them. Awsome pretty fish. I use to have 4 pairs I use to breed and MULTIPLE tanks for the babys. They are quite expensive. One LFS was charging $25 for one. I paid $10 a piece + shipping.
Get one male with 2 females. There courtship is nice to watch. Doing there little dance.